Electronics > Electronics

Pole-balancing Robot

(1/4) > >>

Somchaya:
So, this is just an idea that I've been throwing around in my head for a while..

I'm thinking of building (over summer) an omni-directional robot that balances a pole in its center.. I think I've got the workings of the omnidirectional part worked out, but I've no experience with gyroscopes or accelerometers..

I've read a little about them online, and it seems that to be able to detect the angle of the pole, I'll need to integrate the readings from the gyroscope, or double integrate the readings from the accelerometers? Is there an easier way to do this? Integrating seems like it would create a lot of errors in the long run..

Also, if I want the pole to be able to fall in both the x and y directions, will I need to somehow convert the readings from the gyroscope/acclerometer? It seems like the readings of the sensors wouldn't necessarily be in the x-y axis of the robot, since they'll probably be placed near the top of the pole, and I'd need to convert those into the robot's frame. But, that requires knowing the angle of the pole, so it seems like it's going in a circle.. Any suggestions here?

I'm kind of hoping someone will say "all you need to do is X" ;D If there's an easier way to detect the orientation of the pole besides using a gyroscope/accelerometer, that'd be great! The only alternative I've thought of so far is to use 2 or more cameras statically placed in the room to detect the pole and report its angle to the robot, but that approach seems pretty unwieldy and not very elegant..

Edit: another question: this actually belongs more in the mechanics section, but how would I actually go around attaching a pole to a robot that'll allow the pole to fall in the x-y axes?

dunk:
so the accelerometer/rate gyro combonation is usually used in segway style self balancing robots.

since the angle of your base will always be the same (ie, paralell to the ground) and you are just trying to measure the angle between it and the stick, what about encoders round the pivot point?

dunk.

nanob0t:
This sounds like an awesome idea.  Unfortunately, I do not know how to use gyros or accelerometers.  I am interested in learning also.  I'll do some research, and report what I find.

Brandon121233:
Unfortunately my gut feeling tells me even with this data from the sensors, your in for a ton of geometry, and trig.

zamboniman60:
Well, if you don't need fine measurements, you could use a small tube with a ball bearing in it, and two contacts at one end. Then position it within your robot so that when the robot is straight up and down, the tube is angled slightly so that the ball bearing settles at one end. You'd just need to position 3 of these tubes in your robot, and it could detect which direction it had fallen in when it fell somewhat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version