go away spammer

Author Topic: The Eyeborg project  (Read 5672 times)

Offline chelmiTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
The Eyeborg project
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
Amazing!

http://vimeo.com/3481857

I love the part with the smoke coming out of the board :p

Chelmi.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: The Eyeborg project
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
wow, thats pretty damn awesome. and sorta insprational.
Howdy

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 11:27:45 PM »
What put me off about it was when the guy said "Do you think that was too much power" when he was the one who designed the board. If your gunna design and make your own PCB you should know whats running through it and what it can take...?
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
What put me off about it was when the guy said "Do you think that was too much power" when he was the one who designed the board. If your gunna design and make your own PCB you should know whats running through it and what it can take...?

I think this is not the same guy talking.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:07:55 PM »

The guy that designed it also blew it up
Infantry

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »

The guy that designed it also blew it up

Yes, but he did not say "Do you think that was too much power". The guy with the missing eye said it. There can be many reasons other than too much power for the circuit to blew up.

paulstreats

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:52 PM »
What is the point in this project?

It doesnt help the blind to see, it just puts a camera into the empty eye socket that can be viewed by an external computer but how is this going to help the 1 eyed person to see? they arent talking about linking these cameras to the brain.***

And even if they create a complete modules that work, how many people realistically have a glass eye?

***Im almost blind through 1 eye. The eye itself is fine, but because of childhood problems, my brain stopped receiving signals from the eye. The brains of people that have been blind for a long time also stop responding to input. This is quite a common eye problem that hasnt been solved so even if they do link it to the brain, how are they going to get the brain to respond if it doesnt even respond to a real eye that really works?

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »
I think your missing a big point for the whole project really.
Imagine being able to take a picture of everything and anything you see for later viewing? That alone would be awesome.
There have been experiments where people have hooked up a camera to the optic nerve of a blind person and they were able to see using that camera. Even IF there were some individuals whose brains could not process the imagery even with a direct link to the brain, dont you think its worth the research for those that have a chance?
Infantry

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »
Unimportant projects like these may seem kind of useless, but in the future they give people a stepping stone to help them accomplish the useful stuff. If they get this eyeborg project working, someone who wants to actually have the brain receive the signal already has a working camera eye to base it off of.

Offline offy

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
So the only way they can see out of that eye is with a cell phone or something?

Offline pomprocker

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
    • Nerdcore - Programming, Electronics, Mechanics

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »
If anyone has seen Doomsday , they'll know what I'm talking about here....
you could take out your eye and roll it on the floor and see video on a tiny monitor on your watch
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

paulstreats

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:57:43 AM »
I think i worded my other reply wrongly, I meant what is their final outcome objectives for this project. I wasnt really meaning why bother with it (because you could equally say the same about the robots we build). It just seems to me that the only people who could use such a thing are those that already have a prosthetic eye - which are in a very small minority.

There have been experiments where people have hooked up a camera to the optic nerve of a blind person and they were able to see using that camera.
The only successful ones have only been able to see literally a spec of color, never anything close to an image. There are many laboratories that release statements saying what they could be capable of and stuff but no actual proof or end result. Volunteers are also in short supply, there arent many people that would let people connect electrodes into their brain in the name of research.

Unimportant projects like these may seem kind of useless, but in the future they give people a stepping stone to help them accomplish the useful stuff. If they get this eyeborg project working, someone who wants to actually have the brain receive the signal already has a working camera eye to base it off of.
quite true, excuse my short sightedness (and my pun :P)

So the only way they can see out of that eye is with a cell phone or something?

Yes, it would be quite funky if they used it for a first person big brother type thing, where people can log on to the streaming video to see what the test subject is doing :D

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:51:49 PM »
Yes, it would be quite funky if they used it for a first person big brother type thing, where people can log on to the streaming video to see what the test subject is doing :D
that would be an alright experiment, but i think the person should get to turn it off when he needs to do private things...but that would be pretty cool to see someone put up a server to watch through the bionic eye.
Howdy

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »
If anyone has seen Doomsday , they'll know what I'm talking about here....
you could take out your eye and roll it on the floor and see video on a tiny monitor on your watch

Hehehe.... that really reminded me that movie!!!
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »
i need to see that movie sometime!
Howdy

Offline Jdog

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
The only successful ones have only been able to see literally a spec of color, never anything close to an image. There are many laboratories that release statements saying what they could be capable of and stuff but no actual proof or end result. Volunteers are also in short supply, there arent many people that would let people connect electrodes into their brain in the name of research.
Some of William Dobelle's patients are able to see the outlines of shapes. One of them was even able to park a car. http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health_medicine/1281076.html

paulstreats

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 06:14:28 PM »
It was that exact device that we saw in "innovations training last year", maybe they made some progress with it this past year (the training course tutor said the project was halted because the chief engineer/scientist had become ill  and was the only person who really knew what was going on. Hopefully he is better and has passed on his knowledge to others on the project).

I would really love to see this kind of technology really work, I cant imagine what it would be like to have no vision whatsoever it almost seems like a right of life.

edit-----

also the devices that allow some depth of resolution are administered to people who recently lost vision, not the long term blind
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:17:55 PM by paulstreats »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list