go away spammer

Author Topic: how's penn's grasp program? do i deserve it?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline stchengTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
how's penn's grasp program? do i deserve it?
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
hi all,

I'm new to here, and i am interested in this robotics field. I'm now a first year master student at Penn concentrating on computer networks and now I'm considering if it is worth gaining a second master degree on robotics.

i know that Penn's robotics is outstanding (is it right?) and the reason i do this is because I'm willing to apply for a PhD degree in the future but if i apply it now it might be hard for me to apply for a better school, and i am interested in robotics field ( I've done some research during undergrad about modeling pursue/evasion with some robo-cars) and i believe learning new staffs' kinda fun.

i just wonder if my current field - computer networks / telecommunication is a little far from robotics? will my previous study kind of 'waste'? could i concentrate more on software side of robotics field? ( Penn's grasp is under its CIS department) does anyone know something about this program? I'm just a little confusing.

thanks so much!

Offline jwatte

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 82
Re: how's penn's grasp program? do i deserve it?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
Studying is never "useless" :-) Generally, though, there are all kinds of interesting computer science challenges in robotics, ranging from logistics/optimization all the way to heavy DSP/sensing and beyond to AI applications.

The only thing I would recommend against is a PhD. You will not get the time back, and most employers won't pay enough extra to make up for the loss. Many PhDs are also seen as "too narrow" and "not versatile" in general industry (although this is very context specific.) What I've found is that Master's seems to be the "sweet spot," if you actually care about achieving significant progress in industry. (This is as separate from research.)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list