Author Topic: Creating parts  (Read 3394 times)

Offline LefterisTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Creating parts
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:56:06 PM »
Hello all,

Continuing a question that formed in another topic I would like to ask people here how do they actually make the parts for their robots. In the other topic and in some articles in the Robot Magazine I saw guides on how to make plastic molds from a material called polyurethane. All the guides used a part which they called "the positive" the thing that will create the mold to make many negatives(copies) in the future. That's for plastic.

So the question is .. how do you go from designing it to a CAD program to cutting/making/manufacturing it in reality? The only thing that can come to my mind is using a CNC router. But since I am not that much into making my own robot parts YET , I can be very wrong :)  So if you have any advice and tips to add please do so.

Thanks in advance,

-Lefteris

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: Creating parts
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:42:09 PM »
Drill press, rotary tool, and hand saw are all that I need  ;D

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
A very good start.  Also about what I started with.  I now also have a mini-lathe (which I use for all my robot projects) and a MIG welder for the big steel robot (my yard robot).  I'm currently using my drill press with an X-Y vise as a poor man's mini-mill.  The chatter is horrific - I really want a proper mini-mill.

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:34:42 PM »
well personally i use a dremel with a drill press set up and a flex shaft, and i surprise myself in how good things come out. A milling machne and a lathe would probably be the tools of choice IMO, but they can cost a bundle, not including all of those expensive and necessary add-ons.
Kurt

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »
A low tech method would be to buy a block of soft wood, and carefully carve it with a carving knife and sand paper.

This is what I did for my first vacuum forming projects.

Expect to mess up if you are new to carving, so buy several blocks of wood just in case.

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »
I personally got my dad to ask a favour at a local machine shop and they cut two aluminum discs for me on the plasma cutter, and lil bit of sanding and filing it's perfectly smooth.
Kurt

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »
go to e-machineshop.com
that might help
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

Offline gfscustoms

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 01:05:09 PM »
I usually do my design in a cad program such as Autodesk Inventor or even just plain autocad. You can then find a shop who does laser cutting of plastic and send them your part files.

It works great as long as you don't mind only flat pieces. The tolerance is very tight and you can choose from a wide range of plastics.

Online places such as pololu.com have a pretty good selection of materials, but I found the best way is to find a local shop to do the cutting. I found a local engraving shop to do all of my cutting for significantly less than online, got it in 2 days with no shipping.

I usually create all of my parts in Inventor with all nuts/bolts, spacers, washers, bearings etc. in the model, then just export the faces of the parts you need cut. When you get the parts back, as long as you were carefull with building the model, the real thing will bolt together perfectly.

Good luck

Offline MaltiK

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 01:17:22 PM »
for  your metal robotic needs, bigbluesaw.com is a cheap, easy, effective choice
polou.com also has a good laser cutting service

but probably the easiest and cheapest, as others have said is buying materials from your local Home Depot and manually cutting/carving etc.
Warranty

Get Your Ad Here

data_list