Author Topic: Where to buy TSOP1738 IR receiver? I'm no robot builder but I figured you guys  (Read 2836 times)

Offline arS6Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
will know best.  I've Googled up and down and all I can find is ONE web store from India.  Robokitsworld.com.  Do you guys know of any internet stores in the US that I can find the TSOP1738 IR receiver or another IR receiver that will work just as well?  TIA!

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 98
Maybe this will help.
http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

I use the Panasonic PNA4602M (available from Digikey).

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Hi,

Here's a bunch
What will you use it for? (They have different features).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
I'm using it to extend the IR receiver on my DLO Homedock Deluxe.  Since I'm ordering, I was planning to get a few extra and extend the IR receiver on my DVD player as well.  I didn't want to solder and remove the original one.  I prefer to just runs 3 wires and add another IR receiver.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
Hi,

You have to make sure that the carrier wave IS 38 kHz or else get an IR-receiver with a different frequency, or your range will go down drastically.

If you use extension leads, remember to use a resistor and a capacitor right next to the receiver.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
"You have to make sure that the carrier wave IS 38 kHz or else get an IR-receiver with a different frequency, or your range will go down drastically."  - I understand this part. I can se 38K printed on the back of the dvd's ir receiver.  So I'll match that.

"If you use extension leads,"  - I understand this part.  Means I'm using wires to extend it right?

"remember to use a resistor and a capacitor right next to the receiver." - This is where I'm lost.  I have no idea what those are, where to find it, and which ones to use.  I heard of them.  Once again I'm no robot builder but I can solder.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
Hi,

"remember to use a resistor and a capacitor right next to the receiver." - This is where I'm lost.  I have no idea what those are, where to find it, and which ones to use.  I heard of them.  Once again I'm no robot builder but I can solder.

Look at the Datasheet bottom right on the first page under the heading "APPLICATION CIRCUIT" (it doesn't matter that it isn't for the exact TSOPxxxx component).

If you go with 10µF (micro-Farad) for the capacitor and 100R (100 Ohm) for the resistor you're in the green.
Solder them as close as physical possible to the new TSOPxxxx and don't use a bit more extension wire than you need, as that would just be collecting noise and migth even behave as an inductance (bad).

If you cannot get the exact TSOPxxxx you allready have mounted, make sure how the pinout is, as it differs - find the datasheet for what you get and mount Vcc to Vcc, Gnd to Gnd and Signal to Signal.

Luckily their outputs are what's called common collector, so they can be mounted in parallel without any problems - just make sure one of them cannot register any backscatter when the other is pointed at, or it might confuse the system (or not - you'll have to experiment).
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Get Your Ad Here