Author Topic: toy grade rc parts - wondering, where I can buy them ?  (Read 766 times)

Offline ibotTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
toy grade rc parts - wondering, where I can buy them ?
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »
Hi,

I found some hobby grade rc car parts .. but they are little expensive  :( .. So, I am trying to find some toy grade rc car parts [transimtter, reciever, crystals] ..

I saw some toy grade rc cars in toysrus/radioshack .. which cost around $15-$25  .. looking for such rc parts :)

wondering if anybody know any stores that sell these parts ??

Thanks !!

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: toy grade rc parts - wondering, where I can buy them ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
Hi,

It's unlikely to find such parts as... parts.

One of the methods to cut prices on toys is, to use the very cheapest solutions to everything, so there are no servos in those cheapies, just a motor moving the steering all the way left or right and the motor control has, at most, 2 speeds forward and 1 back.

You won't find quality gears in those either, everything is plastic, usually of a really weak kind and as much as possible is built into the chassis.

Differentials is mostly found in the more expensive toys (like around $100 and up, at least in Denmark, prices are probably lower where you are) and is substantially lower quality than if you buy an R/C part, but R/C parts has to withstand up to several hundred Watt - with some motors up to around 2 HP (around 1500W) and much heavier vehicles than a $20 toy car, so it's not a big surprise (sadly, cause there are some really fine stuff made for R/C cars).

Your best bet is to buy a cheap car (perhaps second hand) if you think you can use some of its parts, but if it's gears and such, take a look at eg. Vex Robotics, they have a good range of plastic gears and loads of other stuff.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
Re: toy grade rc parts - wondering, where I can buy them ?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »
Dollar stores are your best friend. Obviously everything you buy will be very cheaply made so don't expect much out of it though.

I like to look in the 'hardware' section for stuff. If you see a pile of one thing in a bin, don't assume that's all that's in there. If you dig around you can often find some treasure. (Much pun intended.  :P)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:54:15 PM by z.s.tar.gz »
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list