I tried this on my SP3 - and it seems to work with a usb drive. The instructions say to right click on the "drive" in Window Explorerer - but, since the Axon does not show up as a drive, I can not find the same type of setting for the USB to UART Port (either in the Device Manager Ports, USB Root Hub, or Host controller).
I did just try putting in a usb drive, making the setting change, pulling it out, and using that USB port for the axon, but I still get the 45 seconds to load, so no imporvement.
Thanks for looking into this, I have tried everything I can think of - although this slow down only forces me to double check my code, so its not too big of a deal. I just can't to the old Trial and Error technique as easily.