Author Topic: Where can I learn about Electrical Circuits?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline LeftHandRoboticsTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Where can I learn about Electrical Circuits?
« on: June 08, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
I've been interested in robots for the last several weeks.  I took the advice of the SoR and bought a book called "robot builders bonanza".  I liked it and I learned a lot.  The book covered almost everything you could think of, but it didn't go into to much detail on anything.  I need to learn about electrical circuits (I believe that's the terminology).  Suppose I have a car and I need to make the wheels spin, I need to know what battery to use, how to wire the battery to the controller, and the controller to the motor.  I've always built things as a kid so I have basic mechanical skills, but can't do anything because I don't know how to do any electrical programming.  I wouldn't be apposed to taking some college courses (I'm not sure what the subject would be), but for now I'm just looking for a book, or kit, or dvd or SOMETHING!.

Clayton

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
  • Behold! The Impossible Triangle of robotics!
Re: Where can I learn about Electrical Circuits?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:56:40 AM »
Hi,
nice to see I am not the only new member. ;D
Read all the society of robots tutorials you can!
I found a book called Mobile Robots: Inspiration to Implementation.
It's really useful for beginners, although it is a little outdated.
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

Offline Choco_liger

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:32:02 AM »
To learn about electronics circuits, go and look on the other books for electronics.
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_books.shtml

I've been interested in robots for the last several weeks.  I took the advice of the SoR and bought a book called "robot builders bonanza".  I liked it and I learned a lot.  The book covered almost everything you could think of, but it didn't go into to much detail on anything.  I need to learn about electrical circuits (I believe that's the terminology).  Suppose I have a car and I need to make the wheels spin, I need to know what battery to use, how to wire the battery to the controller, and the controller to the motor. 

Clayton

I agree that the robot builder's bonanza doesn't go into much detail so it's better to get some other books to back it up.

Electronics and circuits can be learned from several books but I highly recommend MAKE: Electronics. It's an awesome book, even if your not a beginner in electronics. I'm getting eventually but the free pages already proves itself.

http://www.amazon.com/MAKE-Electronics-Learning-Through-Discovery/dp/0596153740/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

For programming, it really depends on what language you want to learn. I'm currently trying to learn C++ as my first language, through the internet but it's your choice.

Offline MikeK

• Helpful? 5
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »
This might be of use to you:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

Offline The Big B

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
I normally just do a few google search's or ask at a forum to find out the best ways to make a certain circuit. You usually find that nearly everyone does it the same way for example if you looked up how to make a IR sensor (as i did) you would find many ways to do it yourself and a world of explanations. If you don't understand something theres always someone willing to help you out.

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
Electronics and circuits can be learned from several books but I highly recommend MAKE: Electronics. It's an awesome book, even if your not a beginner in electronics. I'm getting eventually but the free pages already proves itself.

http://www.amazon.com/MAKE-Electronics-Learning-Through-Discovery/dp/0596153740/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Ah - you beat me to it. This is a book I strongly recommend.

Offline Choco_liger

• Helpful? 3

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design

Offline Choco_liger

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »
lol

This helped me decide to get it.

Anyway, get MAKE: Electronics, it'll help.

Get Your Ad Here