Author Topic: Opinions on Artificial Intelligence  (Read 1173 times)

Offline The Big BTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Opinions on Artificial Intelligence
« on: June 11, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about what is too far for a robot, I think it's safe to say that Skynet is probably a no no in everyones books but I like to think that a robot should be able to see an item and learn what it is by asking a human or guessing from other things it has learnt without needing it to be programmed in. That is a form of artificial intelligence I think but I don't think it's the same as any sort of free taught like a human has. I don't think robots will every be capable of that or of designing something or creating a picture, stuff that takes emotion are just way beyond the possibilities of a robot I think but I could be wrong, what do you think?

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Opinions on Artificial Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 02:20:27 AM »
anything is possible.

anyway, define intelligence. intresting stuff.

take a super computer that uses two parralel processors running at one trillion instructions per second. it is working on a simulation of the large hadron collider. (this is hypothetical)

the comunication between the processors is in machine langauge. it is a langauge, it passes data between two distinct entities. just cause you can't understand latin, doesn't mean its not a langauge. this comunication is at a rate that human beings cannot follow, and has a context that the majority of human beings cannot understand.

the processes carried out by the computer are very complex mathmatical formula that the majority of human beings cannot understand, carried out at speeds that humans cannot match. the fact that these formulas are done in very basic steps is no diffrent to a human carrying out these calculations by hand.

the computer passes the correct simulation for the paramiters and equations it has been given back to the person who asked it to run that simulation. if the simulation is incorect, that is because the scientist used the wrong assumptions. the machine returned the correct result of those assumptions. so the machine makes no errors, all errors are because the mathmatical formula was incorectly converted to the computers mathmatical representation. which was not done by the computer.

so is that super computer intelligent?

Offline AtomicWaste

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
I wrote a whole paper on this once. "Artificial Intelligence: Society's sentencing or Savior." It's one of my favorite subjects actually.

Ir's really hard for me to try and explain my opinion in less than twelve pages so...I'll just give you a link to my paper. http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8wW90laCtCKYmFlYzNiOGItYzg1ZC00MDY5LTg0MDEtMWRlZTBkODBkM2M1&hl=en Enjoy. ;D

IF you read it, I would like your opinion on it, but I don't expect you to. If I were you, I probably wouldn't.
"Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll never be cold the rest of his life." - Unknown

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »
can't open your file. which is making me sulk.

can you upload it as a .txt or .rtf? or as a word document/pdf?

thanks.

Offline AtomicWaste

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »
Pick your poison. Note, I cannot garentee proper formatting on any but the original document.

Microsoft Word 97 and above(.doc):
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8wW90laCtCKMzk3Y2I5MTUtOThmMy00MzM2LTkwYWUtNzNiNjVmZTkzNWE3&hl=en
Rich text(.rtf):
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8wW90laCtCKYzFiMjEyMzEtZmMwZS00NjZlLThiMTMtNjY2MDE5NGU3ODMy&hl=en
Plain text (.txt):
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8wW90laCtCKODQ4M2ViYWYtZTBiNi00YTNmLWE5YmEtNjU0YTNiZmUyYzll&hl=en
Hyper Text Markup (.htm):
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8wW90laCtCKMjI4MTY4ZjAtNzJmYS00NzU1LWE1OWMtZmU3ZDdiY2FiMDZk&hl=en

By the way, Microsoft Word 2007 should be capable of Microsoft Works files (.wps). Right click the file and fine the menu option that says "open with..." Then click "Choose program" and select "Microsoft Office 2007" Assuming you have the works converter installed, (Most people do) it should work.
"Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll never be cold the rest of his life." - Unknown

Offline little-c

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:23:26 AM »
open office, on this pc, wont recognise it. which is annoying. rtf is nice though, anything opens it.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list