Author Topic: best embedded computer/ microcomputer for robotic mapping /vision?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline iacon50Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
hey guys,
I have just joined a summer project whereupon my instructor says we need to install a computer board onto a autonomous robot that can be integrated to a scanning laser used for mapping as well as at least three cameras used for robotic vision, and some room for later expansion.

I'm an ME and my experience with computer engineering is very limited, so do any of you guys have a clue what i would need or what kind of board i should be looking for? my instructor suggested the PC/104 or something along those lines. anyone have experience into these types of boards that can tell me what i should be looking for?

Thanks

in gratitude, i give you this image

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: best embedded computer/ microcomputer for robotic mapping /vision?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
Hi,

my instructor suggested the PC/104 or something along those lines.
PC/104 would be very good, but it's quite an expensive route to take.
You should consider the x-ITX'es as well (like nano-ITX and pico-ITX if your space is scarce), but the '104 will give you more control and is designed for industrial control, so is probably more rugged than any other solution. If you need to buy extensions for it as well like extension cards or perhaps a DOS On Chip), start looking for investors though  ;)

in gratitude, i give you this image
The Spanish at least brought pearls for the natives... Cheapskate   :P
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »
thanks for the advice. the school is funding the project and whatever components i buy will be well within budget so i don't need to worry about that as much.
my next question is how do i choose between the different types?

in looking for a general PC/104 card, given that Im going to use it to process mapping from a scanning laser as well as three video camera feeds and also leave room for future expansion, what are the kind of specs i should be looking for?

how fast of a processor should i be looking for? about 1ghz or is that too much?

how much ram would you suggest?

also does the type of processor it comes with matter? would each come with their own compiler and programing language or is there a general PC/104 standard for this?

I really appreciate the help.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:25:23 AM »
Hi,

Start at the beginning.
You cannot make any choices unless you have a foundation for doing so - so sit down with paper and pencil and plan out what exact devices that you need and what you may realistically need later. Then look up the specs of these devices and jot it all down.

With that done, it'll be easier to see what specs you need the brain to have, instead of just guessing on processor speed and such.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »
OK, I've got most of the specs I'm looking for down now, I'm just going for a board that has both USB and IEEE 1394 ports and the heaviest processor i can find, probably around 1ghz with 256 megs of ram or more.
the questions i have now are, ]

- what is the additional benefit of the pc104+ or EPIC pr PIC104 boards compared to the standard PC/104? what advantages do they give me?
 - and does anyone know a good site for purchasing SBC's? most sites I've found encourage you to email them and don't have a mechanism for purchasing the boards. are there any good hobby sites that offer PC/104 boards around the type I've mentioned?

thanks for the help guys.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list