Author Topic: How in depth do you go in your projects on the hardware side?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
this has been something i've wondered about most robot builders. on one side i hear allot of people discouraging "re-inventing the wheel" as they call it while there's a few people like admin who've gone down to the basics to bring the famous $50 robot featuring pop bottle and cardboard accesories and a custom built mcu. so where do you fall? personally i like going as basic as i can in something because i always learn more about something when i look at it's foundation.
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline random robots

• Helpful? 3
  • he drives worse than my robot... thats sad
Re: How in depth do you go in your projects on the hardware side?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
i'm more into using an already made body instead of building one, but i design my own circuits, so im sorta in the middle.

Patrick
this is a signature.

Offline futmacl

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:23:15 PM »
this has been something i've wondered about most robot builders. on one side i hear allot of people discouraging "re-inventing the wheel" as they call it while there's a few people like admin who've gone down to the basics to bring the famous $50 robot featuring pop bottle and cardboard accesories and a custom built mcu. so where do you fall? personally i like going as basic as i can in something because i always learn more about something when i look at it's foundation.

I'm probably low-level to the point of being a cautionary tale (link).

Offline blackbeardTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:43:49 PM »
wow that is low level! how do you go about manufacturing your own parts like that? start making your own transistors and you'll REALLY be reinventing the wheel like this guy did it.

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/13/transistor-fabrication-so-simple-a-child-can-do-it/
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline hoosier122

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »
wow that is low level! how do you go about manufacturing your own parts like that? start making your own transistors and you'll REALLY be reinventing the wheel like this guy did it.

http://hackaday.com/2010/05/13/transistor-fabrication-so-simple-a-child-can-do-it/

Just remember it's all a bunch of switches, resistance and power...now getting it as small as you can is the big difference. Or maybe when heat/polarity starts to become an issue.

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 03:02:13 AM »
well i am one of the people that love to build robots from the ground up. design a base that suits my purpose not a base that is designed to suit the purpose of thousands.

i know it is not practical for many people and many people cant be bothered but i much prefer building my own mechanical parts. not only as i find it easier to work with in the long run but i love designing anf building my mechanical components

cheers

Joker94

Get Your Ad Here