Author Topic: What type of solder to use?  (Read 685 times)

Offline spottedzebraTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
What type of solder to use?
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
I am kinda new to building robots and soldering circuits. I am about half done with the $50 robot; school started and the work stopped.

I am about start up again and when i first started on it i was at home and using my dad's soldering iron and solder. it was a nice iron but the solder he had sucked it up a bit.

I am now looking at buying a 40W weller iron and i am in need of some ideas of what type of solder to get to go with the weller iron. i am placing an order at digi-key for some other stuff so if you could find it there that would be very helpful.

thanks a bunch in advance.

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
Re: What type of solder to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »
Good choice with the Weller Iron. Go ahead and get some more tips for it as well, especially the longest, thinest tip you can get, good for soldering SMD.

Solder flux pen
Side snip cutters
Solder wick
Solder sucker

That's a good start.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
i don't have a lot of money to spend right now so i was just going to borrow a solder sucker for right now.

what i really need to know is exactly what type of solder to buy. i am assuming something that has a low melting temp so i don't fry components; i tired googling "low temp solder" and didn't get very far.

could i get a link to some good types for this application perhaps?

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »
oops, missed the solder type only part, thought you were looking for tools to get you soldering.

40W isn't 'low temp' so the low temp solder is not really going to help you out. There's a bunch of different mixes of solder and everyone has their favorite. Regular 60/40 Rosin core will get you started.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:19 AM »
ok thanks for the tip.

i have another question. do the two products below mate? if not what do i need to get to mate with the molex connection? i think they do i just want to be sure.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=91314316&uq=634214396587319764

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=91314203&uq=634214396587319764

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:57:19 AM »
Always get leaded solder. People who don't know not to eat lead will complain, but just ignore them and continue soldering clean quick joints.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Get Your Ad Here