Author Topic: $50 robot 5v regulator  (Read 629 times)

Offline greywanderer012345Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
$50 robot 5v regulator
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:30:59 AM »
I'm building the $50 robot right now, and It's my first project soldering electronics. I heat sinked the voltage regulator when soldering it onto the board initially, but forgot to replace the heat sink when soldering in connections to it. I didn't have time to test it with a battery and voltmeter and I'm at work right now. How worried should I be? Is the heat sinking a requirement with the voltage regulator, or just extra caution? Also, I got everything from digikey, who's lowest shipping price is over $5. What's the least expensive way to replace the voltage regulator alone including shipping? Thanks.

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Re: $50 robot 5v regulator
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:18 AM »
I've built two $50 robots and didn't heat sink the voltage regulator on either one.

Offline greywanderer012345Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
Re: $50 robot 5v regulator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:08:04 AM »
Thanks for the fast response. Now I don't have to sweat that so much for the next 8 hours. Still, does anyone know of an inexensive way to get just one part? Even if the part price was 4x what it is at digikey, I think it would be cheaper if someone sends it in an envelope or something. Or am I wrong about digikey? Their lowest shipping estimate is over $5 for the "small box", which is great for a decent size order, but can they ship single parts cheaper...? (probably a good question for digikey, but they probably wouldn't direct me to the cheaper site.)

Get Your Ad Here