Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Seahorse Feeding Robot

(1/4) > >>

DOES.NOT.COMPUTE:
Hey Everyone!
The Intro!I'm a biology researcher who works mostly with plants (orchids) and insects (aquatic beetles, hawk-moths), but I would really like to start working with seahorses.
The Problem!The problem is the species of seahorse I want to work with (dwarf seahorse) requires a daily supply of live brine shrimp (i.e. sea monkeys). The process of hatching and feeding live seahorse would be inefficient for my purposes.
The Question!I have come up with a plans for a simple machine that would automatically hatch and feed live brine shrimp to the tank for up to a week. I have a very crude drawing of this and I think it would not be hard to make. However I don't have any experience or knowledge with robotic mechanics. Do you think you guys could help steer me in the right direction?

Eddie

danjunyi:
Perhaps I can help you.But my english is not very well,so i don't know how to express the process briefly.
It's simple , and someong else can help you.

hazzer123:
If its just a case of automatically dropping measures of sea monkey eggs, and food into a breeding bowl, and then the alive seamonkeys into the sea horse tank, then im sure it wouldnt be too difficult.

Id use a servo connected to a plastic ball with a hole in it. At default position, the hole would be pointing upwards at the eggs/food supply. The stuff would drop into the ball, filling it up by a specific amount each time. As the ball rotates using the servo, the stuff inside it would fall out into the breeding tank. Im sure this process was used in the very first toilets to drop specific amounts of compost on their waste  :-X

Admin:

--- Quote ---I have come up with a plans for a simple machine that would automatically hatch and feed live brine shrimp to the tank for up to a week. I have a very crude drawing of this and I think it would not be hard to make. However I don't have any experience or knowledge with robotic mechanics. Do you think you guys could help steer me in the right direction?
--- End quote ---

yeap . . . upload the picture!

the easiest way would be to buy a microcontroller (~$50) that has a ton of sample source code for you to copy, and then a few servos (basically an advanced motor, ~$10 each), and a wall plug for power. hook that up the way you designed, program some timing, and you are done.
go here to look up each:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_tutorial_index.shtml

you might also want to search google for automated feeding machines for ideas (or things to hack), such as this:
http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/116312_outdoor-pond-feeder-an-automatic-feeder-for-the-outdoors.htm

DOES.NOT.COMPUTE:
Thanks a lot everyone  ;D

I will do some research on what you guys have mentioned and perhaps make an updated design. The goal is to make this in the most efficient and basic way possible, but I suppose that's the goal of all engineering?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version