go_away

Author Topic: cannot set baud in Mac OS X + Axon  (Read 3117 times)

Offline E.MkTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
cannot set baud in Mac OS X + Axon
« on: November 23, 2010, 11:35:29 PM »
Hey all,

I have Axon + Macbook Air + Mac OS drivers from SiLabs combo and I didn't get far into the setting up the hardware.  I'm installing Debian in VirtualBox as I type this, but just out of curiosity, any Mac gurus here who can tell me why the following doesn't work?

Code: [Select]
stty -f /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 115200
this doesn't output anything, but then when I type in

Code: [Select]
stty -f /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
the speed is set to 9600 baud?

Any clue as to why stty doesn't work in Mac OS ('cause it works on my other computer running Ubuntu)

Offline tranzparency

• Helpful? 1
Re: cannot set baud in Mac OS X + Axon
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:27:19 PM »
Noticing the same with my Mac running 10.6.5.  By leaving off the speed, it displays info about then connection.

At the bottom:
http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ustty.htm
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:09:29 PM by tranzparency »

Offline E.MkTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:48 AM »
Noticing the same with my Mac running 10.6.5.  By leaving off the speed, it displays info about then connection.

At the bottom:
http://www.computerhope.com/unix/ustty.htm

Right, the question is why can't I set the baud rate by specifying it in my Mac OS X when that same command in linux(debian/Ubuntu) WILL set the baud rate to 115200.

Offline tranzparency

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:50:32 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I'm having the same issue and want to solve it as well.. If I have any luck I'll post back.

Offline tranzparency

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:30:14 AM »
After much fiddling around, I reinstalled the SiLab drivers and screen worked just fine.  I was able to see all terminal text from my Axon. Do make sure your uC code is working and sending back appropriate data with another machine(PC with HyperTerm) to A/B the problem if you have the opportunity.  I only suggest becuase I'm a week into getting a smooth coding, make, and flash process going with X-Code.  Not there yet but getting closer.  So in the meantime, using XP through VirtualBox.

But I was able to:
# screen: /dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART 115200

And when done:
Ctrl-A [then typed]
exit [and hit enter]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:47:20 PM by tranzparency »

Offline Crunchy Theory

• Helpful? 0
  • "Well great is ok, but amazing would be great."
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »
Cool, man - I finally got this working myself last night as well. Using an FTDI breakout board, though.

On OS X, the command in Terminal is: screen -U tty.usbtoserial [xxxxxxx] [38400]

where [xxxxxxx] is the device name and [38400] can be whatever baudrate your microcontroller is set to. You can check your devices under /dev once you install the mac driver for your chip and reboot the machine. Of course, the device won't show up in /dev if the chip is connected to the mac.

Hit Ctrl-A then Ctrl-\ then 'y' to exit screen.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 11:09:32 AM by Crunchy Theory »
The only way to top an upright screen, keyboard, and mouse is to eliminate the need for humans to touch a PC at all. Oh, hello there Mr. Robot... what would I like you to do, you ask?

Get Your Ad Here