Author Topic: Need a motor shaft coupler  (Read 2257 times)

Offline karrotxTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Need a motor shaft coupler
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:36 AM »
I need to couple a semi circular shaft to a square shaft of a different size. I don't have calipers to measure the exact size but if you need that information I will buy a pair.

On the left is the DC motor shaft, on the right is the square shaft I need to connect it to. A few options I was consider is welding the two, which doesn't seem like a great idea, or milling the motor shaft down to the same shape as the square shaft.

Here is the motor and shaft:

What are my options? I need this done as soon as possible.

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: Need a motor shaft coupler
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »
If you can mill, just make a female-female coupler: one end which accepts the half-flat motor output, and another that accepts the shaft.  Drill a hole through both shafts and screw through - then it should be mechanically stable.  Set screws may also work, depending on the size.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Need a motor shaft coupler
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »

Depending on the power transferred, perhaps a strong and very tight fitting tube of sorts could be used. Something with a strengthening weave, as the pressure hoses used on cars for oil.

Anyway, it all depends on the application, where it's gonna be used and forces (rotational as well as lengthwise.

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here