Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Need to control the hour and minute hands for a fake clock.

(1/2) > >>

Bill 79268LS:
I need to control the speed of a fake clock that will be used in a Nutcracker play for this coming December. I want to use the small motor that is in a remote control car and attach one of the wheels to the center of the clock hands but I want to control the speed of the clock hands.
Thank you.

waltr:
This sounds to be a good job for a stepper motors and a processor such as any of the AVRs.
SparkFun has stepper motor, stepper drivers and processor boards.

Bill 79268LS:
Waltr

Thank you for your reply. I sent an email to SparkFun requesting some help and hope to hear from them soon.

Bill

klims:

--- Quote from: Bill 79268LS on January 09, 2011, 11:05:10 AM --- I want to use the small motor that is in a remote control car and attach one of the wheels to the center of the clock hands but I want to control the speed of the clock hands.

--- End quote ---
To do this you will need one of the more expensive remote control car radios(transmitter) because they give proportional output. This means that if you squeeze the trigger a little bit then the motor spins slowly. Do you know anyone with a radio like this? Worst case they are not expensive to buy a cheap one.

If you wanted to go this way you would need:
1. proportional radio transmitter
2. receiver
3. ESC (electronic speed controller)
4. battery
5. motor.

Bill 79268LS:

klims,

Thank you for your help. I think you're right about using the more expensive remote control car. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. 

Many thanks,

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version