go_away

Author Topic: Modelling robot motion (OpenGL? Good idea?)  (Read 1175 times)

Offline convolutedTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • Stuck in the s-domain
Modelling robot motion (OpenGL? Good idea?)
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to model the motion of a robotic arm (5 dof) using a 3d library. I would like to program the inverse kinematics in Python, then visualize the results somehow, so the 3d library needs to be able to interface with Python. I was originally thinking of using Blender, but my end goal is to package my application in one neat package, and I'm not sure if I can magically export a Blender model and incorporate into a custom GUI. Seems unlikely.

So then I thought about using OpenGL (which I've never used before by the way). however it seems like creating a model of the arm might be a but tedious as I would need to chose the coordinate points and vertices independently (correct me if I'm wrong). Unless, can design the arm in a CAD program and export the points to OpenGL?

I would like to mode this arm with as much detail as possible:http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/b696_edge_robotic_arm_kit.jpg

So, those of you with OpenGL experience, does this sound feasible? Or am I setting myself up for a lot of agony?

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:01:42 PM by convoluted »

Get Your Ad Here

data_list