I am trying to design a "robot" that can sustain the oscillation of a load attached to a spring.
Here is the problem statement :-
1) The spring is attached to a load. The load varies between 5kg to 15kg. However, the load does not change during the oscillation, only before it starts.
2) The load might get some "disturbance" during the course of its oscillation, e.g. some naughty fingers poking at it.
3) The purpose of the "robot" is to :-
a) start the oscillation
b) control the frequency of the oscillation
c) control the excursion (swing distance) of the load
d) prevent any unwanted resonance / instability
e) stop the oscillation
Here is what I have so far :-
- use a DC motor rotating uniformly. Attach a disc to the motor and a magnet which is off centre.
- on the spring-load assembly, atach another magnet.
- put these 2 magnets close together and hopefully, the one on the motor will gently start the swinging of the spring-load and will reach an equilibrium after a while.
Comments anyone ?