Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Recommendation

(1/4) > >>

megaman935:
I want a motor that can be both fast and slow, depending on what my Arduino microcontroller tells it to go. But I also want intelligent control. Should I go with a DC motor, a servo, a brushless, etc.

Thanks,

Mega

sotu:
Do you want it to be continously rotation?

megaman935:
If you mean the wheels on the bus go round and round, yes lol  :P

hgordon:
A servo is a DC motor with built-in feedback, and it requires the least electronics to interface - you can generally attach an output pin direct from your processor to the servo input without any buffer circuitry.  A DC motor will require an H-bridge (4 transistors) per motor and a brushless motor will require a bridge with 6 transistors per motor.  Also, you will probably want a mechanism for feedback from the DC or brushless motor in order to control speed.  You can purchase electronic speed controllers (ESC) for DC and brushless motors that will take the same control signals as servos, so that will simplify the interface but add to the cost.  Brushless motors provide the highest efficiencies, but gearboxes are not readily available.  DC motors are probably the cheapest. Servos are the easiest to interface.  So you have to decide what is most important for your application.

Admin:
you should define fast, slow, and intelligent :P

its all relative . . .

Given those quantitative numbers, you can easily look up spec sheets on various motors to see if they can handle what you want/need.

I would just say use servos, I rarely use any other actuator . . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version