Author Topic: How to improve the wireless range on the Axon mote?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline SylvestreTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
How to improve the wireless range on the Axon mote?
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:56:02 PM »
I am looking to get 3000 or more feet of range.  What will I have to do to achieve this?  Get a new transceiver?

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
Re: How to improve the wireless range on the Axon mote?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »
I have came to the conclusion that the only reason i would purchase the axon mote over the axon II is because of the transceiver, but if I were going to replace I'd be better off getting the axon II, right?  If I was going to use the axon II, how would I set it up where I can control my robot from my laptop?  Also I need to get 3000 or more feet of wireless signal.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
Let me know if these answer your question:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon_mote/axon_mote_FAQ.shtml#increase_wireless_range
http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon_mote/axon_mote_FAQ.shtml#wireless_range

Setting up the Axon Mote to control your robot is just like using the Axon II with bluetooth, ie you write pretty much the exact same program. Look at my ERP source code for an example. If you get the Axon Mote and can't figure it out, I'll help you write the program.

3k feet is almost a kilometer, so if there are any buildings in the way you won't get a connection. You'd probably want a DroneCell to control by cellphone network.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
I believe the drone cell is the solution to my problem.  Plus it is axon compatible!!!  Thank you so much!  Also would you be willing to sponsor our search and rescue robot?  My friend and I are going to enter it into the google science fair and we are going to present it to the government to improve their search and rescue forces.  We could help promote the website and your microcontroller.  We are predicting our robot will be done by March of 2012.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:50:16 PM by Sylvestre »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
Would it possible to use a wifi router or would that be more difficult than incorporating the drone cell into our robot?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »
Also would you be willing to sponsor our search and rescue robot?  My friend and I are going to enter it into the google science fair and we are going to present it to the government to improve their search and rescue forces.  We could help promote the website and your microcontroller.
I occasionally have robot contests which involve making a video/tutorial of your robot, showing an Axon being used for it. The winner(s) get their Axon cost reimbursed. Just visit again when you're project is done to find out more.

Would it possible to use a wifi router or would that be more difficult than incorporating the drone cell into our robot?
wi-fi is also 2.4GHz like bluetooth and the Axon Mote, so range won't be any better. If you were out in an empty field on a non-humid day, that'll get you good range. But in the city, forgettaboutit. :P

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
Ok I think the drone cell is the way to go then.  Thank you so much for your time and I hope can continue working with you.  What section are the contests posted in or will it be in the news at the top?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »
It'll be posted on the main page, top of the Misc section, and the SoR facebook page, too. I typically do two a year.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »
How do you use the drone cell with the Axon II?  What do you have to do?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 11:05:16 AM »
It connects directly to UART (rx/tx), ground/power, and some optional extra useful wires. WebbotLib manual has instructions + example code. If you get stuck, post what you got and we can help you along.

important: You can't use 5V from the Axon to power the DroneCell . . . power cannot exceed 4.2V if I remember right, so you'll need another power source. This is an advantage of the Mote, as it's a 3.3V microcontroller.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:07:01 AM by Admin »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:40:31 PM »
So if I'm building a robot where I'm running the following things (located below sentence) off the microcontroller, what would I be better off getting, the axon mote or the axon II?

Infrared camera
rangefinder
Search light
two way radio (not sure if I run that off the microcontroller)
6 servos
sawzall (I know a bit odd, right?  I'm probably going to have to run that separately)
GPS
Drone cell

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »
I'm assuming you want a wireless camera and microphone for a remote controlled robot? If that's the case, you don't need a microcontroller for those two items - they are separate and require their own transmitters.

Both the Axon Mote and Axon II can handle the rest, so if you have no future upgrade plans then the Axon Mote would be cheaper for you.

The Axon Mote can only do up to 7 servos (without adding your own power bus), so if in the future you'd want more, then the Axon II would be better.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
How could I make it so the microphone and camera could run off the drone cell too?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 08:44:46 PM »
Think of the DroneCell like a cheap cellphone. It can only do what a cheap cellphone can do, ie send text messages, make phone calls, and maybe transmit a picture or two.

It can't be used for video. You will need to buy a camera and a different wireless transmitter for the camera. You can find plenty on ebay.

It can transfer data, but you'd have to heavily process the video and then transmit an extremely slow set of images (maybe a single frame every few seconds). This isn't easy, so I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

For voice, the DroneCell can be used like a cellphone. You can have your robot make a phonecall to your cell phone to do voice, but you'll need to add the additional electronics for it (microphone, amplifier, etc). Otherwise, buy a walkie-talkie set :P

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 09:13:24 PM »
How does the drone cell connect to the laptop? Also I'm looking at wireless cameras and they seem to be pricey for the products that are capable of transmitting a mile.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 09:18:39 PM »
How does the drone cell connect to the laptop? Also I'm looking at wireless cameras and they seem to be pricey for the products that are capable of transmitting a mile.
Yeap, it's going to be expensive. Welcome to robotics :P

So you also want a laptop? A few weeks ago I sent an Axon Mote into space, and it sent me it's GPS coordinates (along with other data) using the DroneCell to my cellphone. It also posted this information to Twitter. You can set up Twitter to accept text messages from any phone, such as DroneCell, and is very easy to do.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:45 PM »
I watched your video of that (really cool by the way) and I saw you had a camera on it.  What was the camera you used?  Would a blackfin or a cmu cam work?  Or would it be possible to interface a webcam using roborealm?  Is the distance top far for that?  I'm obviously new to using wireless cameras at long ranges so I'm going to need some guidance.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:59:45 PM by Sylvestre »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 07:35:55 AM »
The camera didn't transmit. There were just two regular cameras on it set to record. When it landed, we retrieved the memory cards to see the video.

The CMUcam/Blackfin aren't for transmitting video, either. They process video for the robot to be autonomous . . .

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 09:07:42 AM »
Ok how can I hook up one of these wireless cameras to my laptop

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 09:13:40 AM »
The transmitter will need to have a USB cable adapter. Google around, it'll be more obvious when you see the wireless cameras.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »
Ok do you have any camera recommendations that you've used in the past that have been successful?  I put in a request/email to wirelesscameras.net.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
Check out the UAV (hobby model airplane) flying sites. They have what's called POV, where they put cameras on their model planes and fly them around just using the camera. You'll find plenty of it on youtube, just search around.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
I've been having a hard time finding the camera for those uavs.  Do you think its possible if you could send me a link?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »
See first 20 results ;)
http://www.google.com/search?q=wireless+camera+remote+controlled+plane

Another helpful search term: FPV rc plane

New York City

Incredible FPV, RC Plane FPV Flight Chasing Cars Trucks People Under Bridge Low Pass Wind Turbine

FPV Plane FPV

Offline corrado33

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
Admin, those videos are AMAZING.  It makes me really want to get into RC planes...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 13
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »
Oh I searched the wrong thing.  That should be all the questions I have for this thread.  Thank you for helping me!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list