Author Topic: HELP!!!!!U HEARD ME HELP PLEASE!!!  (Read 909 times)

Offline bobthefirst1Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
HELP!!!!!U HEARD ME HELP PLEASE!!!
« on: September 05, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
I'm kinda noob at robotics  ::) so i have a few questions. I'm using a pic18f4550 micro controller and when I looked at the pin diagram for it i saw it had Vdd2 and Vss2 in addition to Vdd and Vss ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? what is this for? Also, I know u should have crystals attached on your circuit board, but where do I attach it to? 2 more questions ::) How do I program a pic micro controller? cuz I only know c++  :o ,but if u can only do it with c , please explain it.  last question: I'm using eagle (the free edition) to do my schematics and pcb designing. Some of the libraries i'm using don't have surface mount support :'( :'(. Is there a work around? thx people!!! i'm an 11 year old so keep it simple ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:39:22 PM by bobthefirst1 »

• Helpful? 0
HELP!!!!!U HEARD ME HELP PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »
thanks for taking a look at my post :D My problem is I don't get how to program a pic microcontroller. :'( I know c++ but no c. Can anyone tell me how to control the parts connected to my pic18f4550:

• l298n motor controller
  • 2 servos
  • led light
  • bump sensor
i'm an 11 year old so keep it simple please ;)

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 98
Re: HELP!!!!!U HEARD ME HELP PLEASE!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
The best starting tutorial on using and programing PICs is here:
http://www.gooligum.com.au/tutorials.html

You will need to download and install the free MPLAB IDE from Microchip. To really understand how to use PICs start at the very beginning of the above tutorial (base-line PICs and assembler code). You don't need to buy any hardware to start (PIC or programmer) as MPLAB has a good built in simulator to run and step through code.

Once you have a fair understanding of how the PICs work using assembler then download the Free version of Hi-Tech C and continue with the second part of the above tutorial on using C. Do start with the assembler part as the later lessons (including the ones with C) build on the earlier lessons.

Lastly decide on which PIC would fit projects you are interested in, buy a few of these and a PICKit2 or PICKit3 programing tool. Wire a beard-board or perfboard (with a socket) and then load some code to the PIC and watch the LED blink (should always be the first project).

Good luck and have fun.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 98
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »
 C++ is rarely used for embedded micro-controllers. C works fine. See your other thread with my answer on learning to program PICs.

Most sophisticated chips have more then one power and ground pins. Vdd is power and you need to connect all (both) as well as the Vss (ground) pins to the appropriate regulated power supply.

You can create any part you need in Eagle and add the part to your own library. See the Eagle help and tutorials on how.

Some other advice: Slow down and take it one step at a time. You are only 11 and have lots of time to learn this stuff.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »
seriously you're awesome and told me what i needed to know for this ;)

Offline 123laurens

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 02:00:04 AM »
wowow, ok, firstly, read this:
1.1 make the "Subject:" field relevent to the question being asked.
a bad example came up recently but it's a fairly common example: "Subject: Help ! need help!!!!!!". this tells the reader nothing about your problem.
secondly, if since are 11, I whud HIGHLY recommend you get an easy to use microcontroller, instead of designing your own first. unless you are following strict instructions, like the 50$ robot tutorial.

some help deciding your controller:
if you are planning to make an investment, think you are good enough, and you only want to make robots, buy an axon.

if you want to make other things as well as robots,like me( I am going to make a computer to wirelessly control the robot) or you want plug-n-play, then get an arduino. their IDE does everything for you, no external software needed. not even a serial cable. and get a sensor o IO expansion sheild with it if you want it realy easy.

Get Your Ad Here