Author Topic: Need help building my first simple robot.  (Read 770 times)

Offline kentucky7887Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Need help building my first simple robot.
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
So I decided I want to try and build my first robot.  I went and picked up a copy of, "Robot Builders Bonanza" for begin learning some basic stuff. I haven't finished reading it all yet though.  Unfortunately my skills in soldering and programming are zero. I did just finishing building my first PC, and that was much easier than expected ;D

What I want to build is something like an automated mouse for my computer.  I want it to be able to click squares in a small grid, in a random or fixed order, with a 30 sec delay in between each click. Ideally I would like to use a optical usb mouse that I have, and have everything contained inside of the housing. I saw this and thought it was interesting and built with a older mouse (http://www.scribd.com/doc/6666573/Mouse-Robot).  If I need to make an external robot that would use a standard mouse that would work too, and maybe be easier.

Any thought or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Need help building my first simple robot.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »
Hi,

What I want to build is something like an automated mouse for my computer.  I want it to be able to click squares in a small grid, in a random or fixed order, with a 30 sec delay in between each click.
All you need for that is a piece of PC software.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline kentucky7887Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
Yeah I've been looking at using http://www.autoitscript.com/site/ to try and get it to work.  But I haven't been able to make it work correctly.  Do you know of any other programs?

It would be kinda interesting to see a normal looking mouse, just move on its own doing this work on my desk.  ;D

Offline Atuss

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:26:27 PM »
http://www.autohotkey.com/ This program is supposed to be good, never used it my self though. Might wanna give it a go, all the info is on their website.  and if you want to build a robot that move the physical mouse, it would have to something like a CNC machine but instead of a drill you would have the mouse attached. For a first robot I think it might be a bit too complicated, but that is just my opinion :D

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 23
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:38:17 PM »
I will second the AutoHotkey recommendation for computer automation stuff... 
I

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »
I think what kentucky7887 wants is an actual (hardware) mouse to move, which, IMO will be fairly difficult to achieve.

First thing that comes to my head is to make a mouse pad with a magnet fixed on 2D CNC type rails. Then just load magnet into the mouse and place mouse onto the pad.

Then, some sort of mouse position monitoring software should be written to give feedback to 2D CNC of where the cursor is on the screen and adjust magnets position accordingly. This takes care of movement.

To click buttons I would go for tiny linear motors or tiny servos.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here

data_list