Author Topic: programming the Bluetooth Mate Silver  (Read 1155 times)

Offline icyTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
programming the Bluetooth Mate Silver
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »
I'm new to using Bluetooth, and for my project I want to send and receive data back and forth between the Bluetooth Mate Silver (interfaced with Arduino) and my bluetooth-enabled computer. I want data (let's say just a single predefined number) to be automatically transmitted from the computer to the Bluetooth Mate, and then once it's received, the Bluetooth Mate sends a number back to the computer, and this continues forever in a loop. My goal is to find the time it takes from the computer sending a signal to the time it receives a signal back.  Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks!  ;D

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 23
  • Nuclear Engineer Roboticist
Re: programming the Bluetooth Mate Silver
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
Are you using Windows? If so you'll probably be unable to do two-way communication using the computer's bluetooth.  To do two-way, you would need to have the Bluetooth Mate Silvers at both ends.  Ultimately, in software, what you're doing is exactly the same as having a serial cable (or usb-serial cable) connecting the computer and the Arduino... You will just have a wireless serial cable via the bluetooth connection.  (So what I'm saying is, learn how to do serial communications back and forth)
I

Offline icyTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
Yes I'm using Windows...I ultimately want to communicate back and forth in that way using two Bluetooth Mates with each attached to an Arduino, I just thought I could use my computer to test out the program before buying another Bluetooth Mate. If I were to use two Bluetooth Mates, do you have any advice? The online tutorials I'm finding are of course not geared for what I want to do, and are just about getting the Bluetooth Mate in command mode...
Thank you  8)

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 23
  • Nuclear Engineer Roboticist
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:54:20 PM »
What I was attempting to say in my initial post is that bluetooth serial ports do not need special programming.  You can still do 1-way bluetooth with your computer's bluetooth, though.

I'm not sure what kind of tutorials you're looking for/finding.

Do you know how to connect the components you're working with? (e.g. bluetooth mate silver to arduino, and bluetooth mate silver to computer)
I

Offline icyTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:40:53 AM »
I have one Bluetooth Mate Silver and two Arduinos, so I need to buy another Bluetooth Mate Silver that I will connect to the other Arduino. I know how to connect it to the Arduino. I'm just not sure where to start for the task I want to do, which would require 2-way communication.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list