Author Topic: forum posting and messaging  (Read 908 times)

Offline dbemowskTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
forum posting and messaging
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
As a user of many different forum sites on the net, I have to say this one has to be the most annoying when it comes to posting topics or PMs.  I can understand using a captcha image or some kind of question to weed out bots, but having a captcha image AND 5 different questions that you have to answer EVERY time I post something is a real turn off to this forum.  Having this kind of stuff to register for the forum is fine, but once a user is registered, that should indicate that they are NOT A BOT and there should be no need for this level of security any longer.  As I mentioned I have used a lot of different forums on the net and have NEVER had to go through this much security to get messages posted.

Offline Mastermime

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: forum posting and messaging
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
I've never had to do a Captcha or questions to post.  That's odd

Offline dbemowskTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
Well, it appears that now as I make this post, I do not have to do this.  It may possibly be because I am a new user to this forum and they could be doing it on the first few posts for new users.  But seriously, captcha and 5 questions is still a bit much for even new users.

Offline newInRobotics

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:00:21 AM »
That's a security measure that Admin deemed necessary.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:52:14 AM »
The first two posts you make, and the first two PM's you send, require all that annoying authentication. After that you won't see it ever again.

Unfortunately this site is heavily attacked by bots and spammers. Even with all of this protection I still see at least one spammer getting through every day. I estimate that to be about 0.1% of all daily attempts.

Hopefully this is the only reason you didn't like the forum :P

Get Your Ad Here