go_away

Author Topic: need help identify this Maxon motor  (Read 857 times)

Offline andymacTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
need help identify this Maxon motor
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »
Hi,
I'm completely new here in the SoR, so please forgive me...

Though I have an extremely varied background, I've always loved this crap...from the earliest I can remember I was wiring something up in my bedroom....

Anyway, I now work in molecular biology research and use/program/fix, etc.. many very precious machines.  That said, I have tons of spare parts.  It's great!

My question is this:
I've got (now, not sure what else) a maxon DC motor, which I've determined is 5V.  Has anyone figured out the pin configuration to a 6-pin hook-up?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
Re: need help identify this Maxon motor
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
What is the part # written on the motor?

You can also look up the datasheets of similar looking Maxon motors to determine the pinout. Two pins are likely power, while the other four are likely the quadrature encoder power and output.

5V also sounds unusually low . . .

Offline andymacTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:04:54 AM »
As you may know, their ID numbers are seeminly ambiguous - most of what (I try) to search seems meaningless - anyway:
"QI-9232276
maxon DC motor
swiss made
V 02"

Perhaps it's not 5V.  I'm not sure as a novice.  I scored this (and many many other things) off a Qiagen Universal (robot) spare-part.  Using a multimeter on the functioning robot at that motor's input, I got a 5V reading.  Assuming that's right, I've been picturing the 6-lead plug in my head this way (I'm sure wrongly):

-pins 3x2-
1 2 3
4 5 6

with 1 being 5V and 6 GND...and no matter what I attempt to do, all I need is the power plugged in to make it spin.  I would like to control the thing.

As far as comparing it to a similar Maxon, perhaps I don't know enough, or perhaps they have too many (I have about 15 different models of theirs, dozens of duplicates).  I think it's the former.

Thanks a lot
AMAC

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 03:33:17 AM »
Well, if you already know how to power the motor, that's all you need for controlling it. Just attach those to lines to a motor driver.

The other pins are most likely for the encoder as I said before. I couldn't find anything online with a quick search.

My bet is:
power
ground
output A
output B

You might be able to figure it out by poking around with a multimeter while applying ground to each pin and seeing what happens. Rotating the motor by hand should cause A and B to pulse if power and ground is guessed correctly.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »
Hi,

Using a multimeter on the functioning robot at that motor's input, I got a 5V reading. 
Try measuring all the pins with an oscilloscope instead (with the ground lead coupled to something you know is ground).

Multimeters are way to slow to reveal anything pulsating and the 5V you see may be 5VDC, 10V pulsating with a 50% duty cycle, 50V with a 10% duty cycle or whatever.

Mapping out the pins with a 'scope should enable you to make some qualified resistance readings on the motor you have.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list