Author Topic: Has anyone tried the D Programming Language?  (Read 899 times)

Offline JŁergenTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
  • I like beer
Has anyone tried the D Programming Language?
« on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »
I've looked at the language and it looks like it can be used for quite a lot but it is pretty vague in it's description which leads me to be cautious of trying out the language. My main question about it though would be if it can be used for firmware or if it can be used to make my augmented microcontrollers. Does anyone else know more about it? More importantly what could be Pros and Cons of trying out a new language? What would make you want to try it out? What are some of the thoughts out there?
Non est salvatori salvator,
neque defensori dominus,
nec pater nec mater,
nihil supernum

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Re: Has anyone tried the D Programming Language?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:21 AM »
Hm...I've looked into it a bit, but honestly I'm thinking of just sticking with C.  Why?  Well...currently, no one (that I know of) makes a uC that you can program in D (yeah, you can just re-target a compiler to pump out assembly after writing in D, but I'm not really into that and no one has done THAT either). 

Most of the uCs I use can be programmed in C, and there are SO MANY little idiosyncracies that exist in each uC that each time you learn to program a new one it's essentially a new language anyway (ever try to get interrupts working on an ARM Cortex?  Let me tell you something: if you want to transcend space and time trying to figure something out, ARM Cortex interrupts are the way to go about doing it).  So I'd rather just stick with C and call it a day.
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

Get Your Ad Here

data_list