Author Topic: Will a 3mm shaft work well with a 1/8in bore? (Gah imperial units)  (Read 1121 times)

Offline corrado33Topic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
Many small DC motors have a 3mm output shaft, yet many small drive pulleys have a 1/8 inch bore.  Yes, the shaft will fit into the bore, but will the small difference in diameter produce undesirable results (uneven drive, shaking etc)?  Yes the bore does have a set screw, so I'm sure it'll be held tight.  Is there any way around this? 

Yes, I know if it was the other way around (1/8 in shaft with 3mm bore) I could simply bore it out, but I can't in this case. 

Offline tomcharley

• Helpful? 0
Re: Will a 3mm shaft work well with a 1/8in bore? (Gah imperial units)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
Dear Corrado,

Could you maybe pad the other edge of the bore with something to even out the unevenness caused by the set screw?  A piece of paper or two could do the trick (copy paper is ~.004" thick).  If you do use paper, it will crush a little, so you'll be able to make sure that the output shaft is centered in the bore by adjusting the tightness of the set screw.  If you need something a little more durable, you could use foil instead.  Standard household aluminum foil is ~.0006" thick, so you'll need a few more sheets.
  This might not work if the drive pulley is being alternately pushed and pulled along its axis because the padding might eventually work itself free.

Get Your Ad Here