I'm going to put my noob factor on full display here. What in my ignorance did I do wrong here?
I'm learning how to operate servos off of an Arduino. I find I can run the servos fine if I power them off of a home-built variable-voltage power supply. However, this means I have to be plugged into a wall. I want to unteather this circuit from the wall, and so want to run off battery power.
I reached for a small 6V 1.3Ah AGM (lead acid) battery that happens to be handy.
I used the multimeter to discover it's I measured 6.3V across the terminals. I assumed that the 0.3V over wouldn't be catastrophic.
I connected the battery to the power pins of a HiTec HS-55.
No joke, I let the magic smoke out of my poor HS-55.
I know software well, digital hardware reasonably well, and mechanical things like servos not at all. What's the obvious thing that I'm missing? (After you stop laughing. I warned I'm putting my noob factor on display.)
Is this an over voltage problem?
Am I dumping too much current through?
Do I need some sort of regualtor?
I'd rather not smoke more servos on trial and error.