General Misc > Misc

annoying search engines

(1/2) > >>

Admin:
Is it just me, or is Google and Bing often ignoring half the keywords in a search query?

Gertlex:
Yup. This has been a problem for a while. Google it and you'll find there's a way to force (google at least) all keywords to be required for identification.

And it's always the most important word that Google skips...

Admin:

--- Quote from: Gertlex on December 03, 2012, 11:14:29 PM ---Yup. This has been a problem for a while. Google it and you'll find there's a way to force (google at least) all keywords to be required for identification.

--- End quote ---

How?

(yea, I've noticed it for a month now, but was hoping it would just go away)

Soeren:
Hi,

Googles answer:
Do a normal search.
On the results page, click "Search Tools"
Click "All results" and click the "Verbatim" (at the bottom of the box).

Unfortunately, I did a test and "All results" got me 2.3 mio links while the "Verbatim" got me 6.54 mio links ::) but sometimes it helps a little

Another thing that may be helpful is using Intext:"search term"

Perhaps Google has reached the "Use Before date". They more or less disintegrated Alta Vista back in time, perhaps we're gonna see a new star shooting in the near future.

Gertlex:
Less lazy this morning ;)

This is the link I usually end up finding when I search for something like 'force google to use all terms'
http://ask.metafilter.com/181167/Google-is-driving-me-nuts

Which suggests:

--- Code: ---allintext: words to search for
--- End code ---

That said, I haven't really tested it. Reading again, just now, that might specifically force Google to show results that have your queries in the main body of the text (and not the title lines, etc?).

I've yet to actually fix it for myself... A few weeks ago, I modified a userscript to add Google Scholar as an option in Google's top-bar... it stopped working about a week later.  >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version