Author Topic: roomba type robot  (Read 1157 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jwatte

  • Supreme Robot
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,345
  • Helpful? 82
Re: roomba type robot
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Mapping a room while you're moving about it is called "SLAM" (for "Simultaneous Locating and Mapping" IIRC.)

There are some functions to do SLAM in the ROS toolkit. It requires a lot more computing power than an 8051 or Arduino will have, though. Perhaps you could do it with a Raspberry Pi, or a small PC.

If you're not a skilled software developer, though, then this is probably not something you can achieve yet. It's pretty gnarly stuff.

Offline Tommy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 118
  • Helpful? 3
Re: roomba type robot
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
IMO it's best to start with switches on a bumper(goes straight until bumper hits, then turns).
as you get deeper into the project you could add mapping.


Offline greywanderer012345

  • Robot Overlord
  • ****
  • Posts: 133
  • Helpful? 2
Re: roomba type robot
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:57:23 AM »
If you don't want to place the extra computing power hardware on the bot, I've heard people have had success writing the mapping code for a PC and then adding bluetooth to their bot. Even if you can't get it to work well at first, at least you've learned how to interface with bluetooth.


Get Your Ad Here