Electronics > Electronics

passing micro-amps through a diode with high efficiency?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Admin:
Another friend of mine said to look into diodes for RF, too. So I'll investigate that . . .

--- Quote from: waltr on January 04, 2013, 06:33:26 PM ---Admin, have you tried measuring this with a few diodes?

--- End quote ---
Not yet, as I just started looking into this today. I also don't have any equipment that can accurately measure ~1uA. But I know people that do.

jwatte:

--- Quote from: Admin on January 04, 2013, 01:50:42 PM ---I need to pass about ~0.01mA at ~4V through a diode at high efficiency. (that's 10uA, folks)

--- End quote ---

What I would look at would be a diode with a low forward drop. Perhaps a Schottky type? I imagine this is for your micro-power harvesting project? I would be surprised if you ended up with very high efficiency there.
There's also the question of reverse leakage. If you have 10 uA forward, and the diode leaks 25 uA in reverse, then I don't think you're going to get much rectification out of it...

Admin:
Turns out there are energy harvesting IC's specifically for stuff like this lol . . .

Linear Technology and Maxim both have a few. I'll have to buy 'em and try 'em out . . .

jwatte:

--- Quote ---Turns out there are energy harvesting IC's specifically for stuff like this lol . . .
--- End quote ---

Yes, absolutely! There are even full boards you can plug into your source on one end, your battery on the other, and it's done.
Where on the spectrum of "eating ice cream" vs "milking a cow" do you want to fall?

Admin:

--- Quote from: jwatte on January 07, 2013, 11:18:38 AM ---Where on the spectrum of "eating ice cream" vs "milking a cow" do you want to fall?

--- End quote ---
pardon? ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version