Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Steering with 12v motor

(1/3) > >>

soninja8:
Its been such a long time since I have posted on here...anyways, I have this 12v electric motor that I took from an electric scooter, and I was wondering how I can use a regular servo to control the steering of the motor. I will be using a 12v lead acid battery to actually power the motor (I'm not stupid enough to use the 6v servo power LOL), but how would I limit the volts going to the motor so it can actually steer instead of going full to the right or left? If this question is too confusing please let me know!  :-\

*Project info*
I am making a gas powered "tank" that runs off of a 30cc engine, and is steered by a regular 12v motor. All this will be controlled by a regular rc servo controller (one servo controlling the throttle, one controlling the steering).

Tommy:

--- Quote ---can actually steer instead of going full to the right or left
--- End quote ---
soninja8,  Google "sabertooth motor controller"

Tommy

soninja8:
Thanks Tommy, since you suggested the sabertooth controller I have been trying to find similar ones at a cheaper price, but to no luck. Do you know of any dc controllers that can supply around 5-10amps under $30? Thanks!

jwatte:

--- Quote from: soninja8 on January 12, 2013, 12:19:46 AM ---Its been such a long time since I have posted on here...anyways, I have this 12v electric motor that I took from an electric scooter, and I was wondering how I can use a regular servo to control the steering of the motor.

--- End quote ---

It sounds like you want to drive the steering rods using this motor as a servo.

A motor doesn't normally steer. For a motor to steer, you need to know where it is, and where you want it to be. (Servos you buy contain this system built-in.)
This means you'll need an encoder for the motor you use for steering, and a microcontroller that reads the sensor and drives the H-bridge to keep the motor turning to the place you want.
The Sabretooth controller does not have the necessary feedback to do what you need.

--- Quote ---Do you know of any dc controllers that can supply around 5-10amps under $30?
--- End quote ---

Assuming you can find a suitable encoder for motor position, you may be able to use a "simple motor controller" from Pololu to get where you need to go: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1372
It's $34. I don't think it does the encoder feedback part without you adding a small microcontroller of some sort (Arduino, ATmega, or whatever.)

soninja8:
Your link does not work  :-\

And I'm just looking for a cheap dc controller that turns a motor forward and backward so I can steer, since it won't be anything fancy

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version