Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Track or whell

Hello All

I am starting work on my first robot. I am starting with the platform right need I am torned between using a 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel sterring or using a track system. Since some of user in this forum have built many robot what are the pro and con of each? Any help will be welcome.

Normally (depending on how You make it), track system offers more contact surface, hence less slippage (or that would be the case for some big heavy robot), if it's a small one You're building, slippage won't be very different. Which system do You prefer Yourself?

How big is this? For mini-Sumo, tracks are fine. For two-foot-sized robots, tracks are a PITA. On the other hand, four-wheel steering is also a PITA; two-wheel steering is much easier.

The Dagu Wild Thumper comes in four-wheel and six-wheel versions, and uses "tank steering" with wheels -- it breaks the wheels on the side it wants to turn towards. It "works" as long as the surface you're driving on isn't too grabby. Dirt is great; anti-skid carpet, not so much.

[0] Message Index

Go to full version