General Misc > Misc

Considering Mechanical Engineering, advice on robotics please?

<< < (2/3) > >>

xilc:

--- Quote from: jkerns on February 08, 2013, 10:23:50 AM ---What kind of job do you want for making robots?

If you end up at an industrial robotics company there are lots of jobs that don't involve software. Designing work stations for an assembly line, designing new end effectors, etc.

Learn C.

Learn at least some electronics.

--- End quote ---

My dream job would be working at NASA, or working in Aerospace/Astrospace Engineering, quite honestly. Making a new mars rover robot would be pretty awesome. I have high hopes like that.

Admin:
The #1 way of getting a robotics job is to make a few really impressive robots on your own free time. ;D

xilc:

--- Quote from: Admin on February 08, 2013, 03:27:38 PM ---The #1 way of getting a robotics job is to make a few really impressive robots on your own free time. ;D

--- End quote ---

I'm just confused on the programming languages used to program the bots... Is it C, or C++? And I'm just amazed at the way it's written. I'll take Stampy's code, for example... I downloaded Stampy's source code.

--- Code: --- else if (scan_angle < 50)//if target is too far on left
{
servoLeft();//turn towards target
set_led(YELLOW, 1);
set_led(GREEN, 0);
scan_angle+=1;//scanner turns right while robot turns left
}
else //centered on target
{
servoForward();//drive straight
set_led(YELLOW, 1);
set_led(GREEN, 1);
}
}

--- End code ---

That's just amazing, like, how simple it is...

Gertlex:
In all the robot coding I've ever dealt with, there are libraries of code (written by others) behind the code you write.  The compiler then takes C/C++ etc., and creates the lower level code that gets put on the robot. Generally, this lower level language is 'Assembly,' and Assembly differs between different microcontrollers.

The code you quoted is valid C and valid C++.  The languages are very similar, and for much of the more basic stuff, identical.  It's also a simple example :)

The complexity in coding often comes in the algorithms, and in tying the algorithms together.  The example  you quote isn't complex enough to merit the term 'algorithm.'  Tying code together can be particularly complex.  You can have dozens of small, simple functions, but the way they interact together can get very, painfully complex.

xilc:

--- Quote from: Gertlex on February 08, 2013, 05:59:15 PM ---In all the robot coding I've ever dealt with, there are libraries of code (written by others) behind the code you write.  The compiler then takes C/C++ etc., and creates the lower level code that gets put on the robot. Generally, this lower level language is 'Assembly,' and Assembly differs between different microcontrollers.

The code you quoted is valid C and valid C++.  The languages are very similar, and for much of the more basic stuff, identical.  It's also a simple example :)

The complexity in coding often comes in the algorithms, and in tying the algorithms together.  The example  you quote isn't complex enough to merit the term 'algorithm.'  Tying code together can be particularly complex.  You can have dozens of small, simple functions, but the way they interact together can get very, painfully complex.

--- End quote ---

So basically what you're telling me is that stampy's code references a library someone else wrote, right? Because I'm just confused by the coding I'm seeing.

"servoLeft()"

If I studied regular c/c++, I wouldn't see the function servoLeft, so I assume there are different robotics-specific libraries that are used to program a microcontroller?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version