Electronics > Electronics

Servos VS DC geared motors

<< < (2/4) > >>

jwatte:

--- Quote ---servos probably are the easiest actuators to use programming-wise, as they only need PWM input
--- End quote ---

When you say "servo" here, I presume you mean "cheap RC hobby servo"? Because most servos used for non-hobby purposes use RS-485 or CAN or similar digital control busses.

newInRobotics:

--- Quote from: jwatte on February 20, 2013, 11:23:58 AM ---When you say "servo" here, I presume you mean "cheap RC hobby servo"? Because most servos used for non-hobby purposes use RS-485 or CAN or similar digital control busses.

--- End quote ---
I think we can all agree that servo in context of this thread stands for hobby servo ;)

drinu:
Thanks for all the replies  :)

After reading all the comments, I concluded that using servos might be a better option. But I'm concerned about the jitter/vibrations of the servos when the robotic arm lifts the load and while moving. what actually cause the jitter? (as in the video below)

Robotic Arm (test servo #1) - Homemade Handmade

I can notice these type of not smooth movement in many videos. Is this caused by the servos or by the mechanical structure??

Another question, if the speed of the servo is reduces, will the torque also be reduced ??

Thanks in advance.

newInRobotics:
Few different things can cause servo to jitter: current spikes & dips, noisy signal suplied to servo, loose gears inside, poor quality potentiometer, low internal position update rate, etc, etc. If You need Your robot not to jitter, try getting higher quality digital servos, or other types of actuators.

Arm in the video does not jitter than bad, I must say, I had a chance to program one that was shaking a lot more.

As for hobby servo speed control, as far as I know, You cannot control it, as angular velocity is worked out inside servo itself. There are ways around it, like driving servo in small increments to keep speed down, however, control that You get might not be worth the effort.

drinu:
Hi,
thanks for the reply.
Are XQ-power servos of good quality? they don't look expensive but I have doubts about their quality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version