Electronics > Electronics

UART conections

(1/3) > >>

robotmaniac:
hey guys I wanted to add UART function to my Atmega8 form the $50 robot, but I was wondering If i could, open a usb and connect the usb's tx and rx directly to my atmega8...But I saw the UART  tutorial and there was this CP2102, but for what use this thing? Cant i just go form my usb to the atmega8?

The USB has data (+) and data (-)... which one is RX and TX???

johnwarfin:
it is possible to connect m8 directly to usb but the circuit and software are very complicated. better to use a usb2serial dongle like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-To-RS232-TTL-Auto-Converter-Module-Converter-Adapter-For-Arduino-S9-F8s-/370859426819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5658f1c403#ht_4376wt_1056

they only cost a buck or so and will allow interfacing many different serial projects.

robotmaniac:
hey, thanks but what about using a usb cable used for cellphones... I mean, cellphones have microcontrollers of some sort so wouldnt that usb have a thing for communicating the computer with the cellphone? ?
and sorry for my english, I am from Puerto Rico...

jwatte:

--- Quote from: robotmaniac on July 22, 2013, 12:01:15 PM ---hey guys I wanted to add UART function to my Atmega8 form the $50 robot, but I was wondering If i could, open a usb and connect the usb's tx and rx directly to my atmega8...But I saw the UART  tutorial and there was this CP2102, but for what use this thing? Cant i just go form my usb to the atmega8?

The USB has data (+) and data (-)... which one is RX and TX???

--- End quote ---

The Atmega8 does not support USB. The TX/RX on the Atmega8 speak "UART" protocol. Meanwhile, the D+ and D- on a USB port speak "USB NRZ" protocol. They are not compatible.
There is a version of the Atmega8 called the Atmega8u2 which does support USB, but unfortunately, it's not available in DIP package, only in surface-mount package, so it's going to be very hard to work with if you don't know how to do reflow soldering in an oven.

robotmaniac:
 :o OK, thanks buddy... I will buy the USB2serial dongle... I don't need anything else for the UART right?? Already have Hyper-terminal...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version