Electronics > Electronics

Four wheel differential drive

<< < (3/4) > >>

headrc:
I hear you ...but I really am feeling like I need four wheel drive.  As far as the motors ....I already have two of them ....out the Jazzy power chair ...so if I am to do four motors ....I gues I feel like they should be matched as close as possible.  I don't think I will need suspension for this thing.  Basically I am thinking of it like a little four wheel drive tractor that I can hook different attachments to for mowing, weedeating  and spraying ...on rough tough inclines .....places that I hate to deal with!  But I believe it will have to be a powerful little beast to do it.

jwatte:
Gotcha. Looking forward to pictures when you start building :-)

Billy:
I have a automated lawn cart that uses two wheel chair motors (left and right) and dual chain drive to make it 4 wheel drive.  Chain drive is probably better, as a loss of traction on one wheel doesn't result in much drama. Wiring motors in parallel will allow a low traction wheel to spin freely which will dig holes, burn the grass, throw rocks, etc.  With chain drive, each wheel on a side have to spin together.

If your yard is anything like mine, you need 4 wheel drive, but you can start with 2 wheel drive, and then add a chain drive later.

Of course you'll want to consider what tools you have available. Chain drive requires more mechanical work than wiring motors in parallel.

jwatte:

--- Quote ---Wiring motors in parallel will allow a low traction wheel to spin freely which will dig holes, burn the grass, throw rocks, etc.
--- End quote ---

If you have good encoders and controllers, that won't happen, as the speed will be limited.

headrc:
Some interesting input again ....still thinking through how I am going to do this so thank you.  Had to do the weedeating again today ...can't wait to have this thing do this rather than me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version