Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Holding torque after hacking a servo

(1/2) > >>

Scojo:
If I hack the HS-5685MH, HS-485HB, or the HS-985MG to operate continuously clockwise and counterclockwise, does the stock holding torque decrease?

Is there a way to up the holding torque on a servo?

Jackson21:
Not to sure about the decrease, can't imagine why it would though..
Anyway, why do you want more holding torque?? Just thought that something like a worm drive might be a far simpler option, if you could give more details, would be helpful :P

waltr:

--- Quote from: Scojo on October 24, 2013, 02:11:50 PM ---If I hack the HS-5685MH, HS-485HB, or the HS-985MG to operate continuously clockwise and counterclockwise, does the stock holding torque decrease?

Is there a way to up the holding torque on a servo?

--- End quote ---
1- No, still the same
2- Apply a high Voltage so there is more current to the motor. But if the Voltage is too high it will burn out the servo. A slightly higher Voltage, say ~6V will increase torque over 5V but the servo will not last as long.

Scojo:
I don't necessarily want more holding torque, but just thought I would ask if it were possible to increase it.

How much holding torque do servos have? Is it a percentage of the max torque?

I'm looking to make a pan tilt camera setup that will operate on a moving craft submerged, so I don't want currents pushing the assembly around. If the holding torque for servos is decent, I see no need to invest in stepper motors.

Jackson21:
Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe holding torque is exactly the same as stall torque (makes sense in my head). Still not a lot of info bout the build, but assuming your running servos at 7.4 V you'll have 12.9 kg-cm of stall torque on your HS-5685 (couldn't be bothered researching other two servos but I'm assuming roughly similar specs). So my guess is unless your making a nuke powered sub, I don't think you'll have any issues with water currents or drag. If you're really worried, try to make your camera set-up at aerodynamic (aquadynamic??) as possible as this will also reduce current drain from your stall torque if your robot is in especially strong currents.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Jacko :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version