Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

What type of mechanism can climb a pole?

I need to move an instrument up/down via remote control.
Weight around 3 pounds (1Kg), up/down about 10 feet(3m). It can be mounted on some sort of pole, supported at both ends. Movement should be fast, accuracy unimportant.

I use this as an example, see pic below or

I looked into CNC glide rails but they are for horizontal movement.

An ACME lead screw with a lead nut, and perhaps two guide rails with linear bearings, would solve this just fine. It would be highly accurate (if driven by a stepper motor) but not very fast.

A faster way is to use the two guide rails, and use a winch of some sort, with a controlled motor to run the winch, and perhaps limit switches for detecting each end stop.

I would recommend the winch type of concept as well.

A few ideas:
- You can put a motor at the top with a spool and haul your load up with a cable/rope
- If the motor can not be placed at the top you could use a pulley at the top and place the motor elsewhere
- To allow even faster motion you could place a pulley at the top and bottom and use a continuous loop of cable/rope. The cable/rope then would be wrapped around the motor shaft one or more times to drive it. You will need to be sure that the cable/rope is taught for this to work well.

Or if the mechanize needs to be independent then it can wrap around the pole. Have to wheels (pulley like) at 120 apart that are idles (no drive, just free turning). Then a third wheel, 120 part, that is driven by a gear motor. You will need some sort of tension on one of the wheels to provide traction.

[0] Message Index

Go to full version