Hello, I will give you a little background on why I want to do this project. My boyfriend and I are HUGE fans of Adventure Time and love N.E.P.T.R. My boyfriend is a computer science major and is an amazing programmer. He has made many programs and has been working on building robots with Arduino and Robot Platforms. His love for N.E.P.T.R and programming I was inspired to try and see if I could build him one for his birthday(which is several months away). With him being a programmer I should have access to any of his programs to program N.E.P.T.R Now for me, I know almost nothing about robotics and need your help in determining whether or not this project is feasible for me to do or should I just leave this project for him. If so, what materials do I need, and could someone help me with writing the code. Also, I am wanting to do this for a feasible price as well, as I am a college student working an almost minimum wage job. I do have the course of a few months to make this project which allows me to be able to spend good amount, but I don't want to have to spend a large sum.
My Plans For the Construction of N.E.P.T.R
1. For the base I was thinking about getting this platform. http://www.robotmesh.com/rover-5-tank-chassis-4-motors-with-4-encoders?gclid=CjkKEQjw4_ubBRCArMWr6avk_J8BEiQAIj43tZY2daQF1pcRTVFk41z3oGcRK0MZnUIZ7qP_osx86djw_wcB
If I get this platform should I get this one or the one with only 2 motors + 2 encoders?
2. I plan to hollow out a microwave to where it is just the casing of the microwave so it is lightweight and because I think the components of the microwave would be pointless for this project.
3. I want to possibly wire a light bulb into top of the inside of the microwave and possibly make it to be turned on and off.
4. I want him to be able to control the robot with a remote control or a controller such as an Xbox controller.
5. I want to be able to move the arm up and down with controls.
6. I want to record the voice of the character and have him be able to replay them with the controller.
I want to do this by using Arduino board(s) because that is what I am somewhat familiar with.
Is this feasible? I can probably get help with any wiring that made need to be done that doesn't just need to be plugged in.
What supplies/materials will I need? How can I access codes or learn how to code the robot? Any information will help.