Author Topic: Biggest Researcher in Robotics  (Read 1449 times)

Offline vidamTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
Biggest Researcher in Robotics
« on: January 06, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »
I need people's thoughts and opinions on this one. Discussing with someone over which country is the biggest researcher and spends the most money on robotics. They seem to think it is the US Military. I have to disagree because I think Japan spends way more money on robotic technology for entertainment especially humanoids. The US is mostly interested in military applications which is a smaller fraction of the percentage of people in the economy. Entertainment covers a much broader spectrum of people therefore more money.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
Re: Biggest Researcher in Robotics
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »
Sounds like you are volunteering to research hard number? And I would argue you are wrong on all points. Industry spends the most, and Japan spends the most on robotics in industry. Total amounts however are more fuzzy.

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »
Entertainment covers a much broader spectrum of people therefore more money.
Not neccesairly, The militairy has a much bigger budget than companies that are trying to make a toy...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:57:41 AM by Rebelgium »
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline vidamTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 1
  • Robotronics.org
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:52:59 AM »
Sounds like you are volunteering to research hard number? And I would argue you are wrong on all points. Industry spends the most, and Japan spends the most on robotics in industry. Total amounts however are more fuzzy.

I seriously doubt that DARPA or the Defense Industry would publish the amount of money they spend on Robotics annually. I bet there is someone in Congress who would know. Maybe if I write to my Congressman or senator then I might be able to get an idea. I know Japan spends alot of research on the project for Asimo. I have not idea how much they spent. But I guess I could try googling it. If anyone else has charts/figures/numbers by country then put them up on the board. Thanks!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:03:19 AM by vidam »

Offline paulstreats

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
Asimo has an official area on honda's website somewhere with a few facts and figures including expenditure, research time, research projects, goals etc..

Get Your Ad Here