New lower price for Axon II ($78) and Axon Mote ($58).
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
I was testing some salvaged DC motors with a friend and hooked them up to a power supply. I forgot and didn't notice that he had switched the adjustment dial to control amperage instead of voltage. So I started turning the dial, thinking I was adjusting voltage to test how fast the motor would go and the motor speed barely increased. I kept turning the dial slowly, thinking "hmmmm this is strange". That's when I saw it was on amperage and just as I started to turn the dial back... BAAAMMMMMMMMMMMM!The capacitor wired to the power/ground connectors of the motor BLEW UP. There was cotton/confetti stuff all over the lab table. Luckily neither of us was hit by flying shrapnel, but my ears hurt for a few hours after that. Moral of the story? Check and double check the display!
Tips:Wear safety goggles - always. I wear them when I solder, cut leads off of boards, machine, use chemicals, even when I turn on a new circuit for the first time. You only have two eyes.When using chemicals, do it outside or in a very ventilated area. I also vent my solder fumes (lead poisoning!). Read the safety manuals before using the chemical.Tie down flammables and store in cool safe locations.Read the manual for your power tools before using them. No loose clothing. Make sure you always have someone close by if something goes horribly wrong. People cutting off fingers is actually fairly common with power tools . . .
Never solder directly to a lead acid battery!!!!
QuoteNever solder directly to a lead acid battery!!!!Did you have an incident? I've done it a few times no problem. There is a post in this forum about it if you search a bit.
This didn't happen to me, but i once heard about a guy who cut his finger off with a circular saw. What happened was the lights in the room were powered by 50Hz AC electricity and the saw must have been rotating at a multiple of 50 revolutions per second. This caused the strobe effect where the saw looked stationary. The guy thought, thats weird... it sounds like its on... so he touched it and chopped his finger off!
might think of more stuff later
Oh and ive crushed my hands, fingers, knuckles, etc >_<
Judging by your sig, that's not the only thing that was crushed...
Quote from: HDL_CinC_Dragon on January 08, 2008, 06:22:32 PMOh and ive crushed my hands, fingers, knuckles, etc >_<Judging by your sig, that's not the only thing that was crushed...Sorry , I couldn't leave it
they are talking about the picture in his signature, it got smaller