Author Topic: useful domestic robots?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline pomprockerTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
useful domestic robots?
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:55:00 PM »
I read in another thread that is it very good learning experience to build lots of easy robots really fast to learn.

I am interested in doing that, but I also would have more motivation if the robots were useful. (ie vacuumed the floor)

I am just a beginner so I'm just getting a feel for whats out there. I've heard of the photovore, photophobe, line follower, wall avoider, cat chaser, etc....

I guess I would just like to start a thread for people to just throw out some ideas of how to take those basic robots, and add something useful to them.

I'm all about domestic robots doing things that I don't want to, or I'm too busy to do. (vacuum, dishes, take out the garbage, pick up my daughter's toys and put them back in the toybox ;D, cook food!,) those would be the main ones hehehe.

I'm also kind of into home automation (x-10, insteon, misterhouse, etc), if anyone has any input on that.

As far as a robot doing the dishes, I tend to look at it from another perspective. Maybe its just time to re-engineer the layout of the kitchen and dining room all together to facilitate robots and automation. I think a robot doing dishes would be made simpler if there was like a conveyor belt that took our dishes through some sort of machine.

Anyway these are just my thoughts. What are yours?

Offline pomprockerTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: useful domestic robots?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:57:23 PM »
What if the entire kitchen garbage can was a robot, or sat on a robot, and it sensed when it was full, and knew how to get outside to the outside trash can or dumpster and was able to get it in there somehow.

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:43:27 PM »
quite possible use mapping technology to do that and abt the vaccumm cleaner thing its also quite possible u can use simple photovore start the vaccum cleaner make the robotic circuit control the motor to the circuit , use wall avoidance algorithm and wallah there u got ur vaccum cleaner that can easily avoid walls and make ur flooooorr cleann
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

Offline AndrewM

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »
The motivation that pushes you to create a useful robot quickly goes away when things start getting frustrating.  A more useful robot has the tendency to get more complicated and more expensive, and makes a very poor learning tool.  Think of it this way, algebra and geometry are pretty basic math skills and not overly useful when it comes to more than simple real world problems, but where they are useful is as the building blocks for advanced trigonometry and calculus which get used for all the really useful problem solving.  You don't, however, jump straight into calculus.  If you tried without all the mathematical building blocks, it would be frustrating and you would likely give up on it.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from building a robot with purpose and function, but learning from building a bunch of quick and easy robots will give you a firm foundation to accomplish the task.  You said you are interested in the "learning" level of robots too, so why not tackle one or ten of those while you come up with ideas for the useful robot.  You will be surprised how many tricks you can learn from simple solarbots that in turn uncomplicate an otherwise more complex robot.
blog: www.iamwhen.com
Saving the world from humanity one robot at a time.

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
With the Romba cleaner, I really don't see making your own bot to clean floors.
As for a robot washing dishes, I think the dish washer is about as far as we're going to get with that for a while. I'm not sure how much lazier people can get than to just put your dishes in a rack, add some soap, close and forget.

I think that for a lot of people, cooking is an art, and these people will most likely not want to automate much more than is already done. Unless you can make a better oven or microwave but I have a feeling that is not what you are after.

But a thought just came to me...
What about something like the Romba cleaner, but for the counter tops and sinks? Or maybe something that would clean thick carpet and rugs as weekly cleanings on high traffic areas are proven to extend the life of a good carpet or rug.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline AndrewM

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention.  I have a home automation system in place.
blog: www.iamwhen.com
Saving the world from humanity one robot at a time.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
Would education be useful? I mean, if building a 'useless' robot taught you a huge amount of new skills, would that be useful for you?

My advice that I give to all beginners is, build robots to learn how to build robots - and keep things simple to do just that. For example, the $50 Robot is incredibly 'useless', except that it teaches someone how to build a robot from scratch and all the skills needed to do that.

Once you have all your building blocks of knowledge in place, then you can ask yourself the same question industry can't figure out - what robot is useful? :P

Get Your Ad Here

data_list