go_away

Author Topic: dsp chip hot  (Read 2922 times)

Offline orchidTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
dsp chip hot
« on: May 20, 2008, 02:03:14 AM »
hi all

i have facing a problem regarding to the tms320f2812 dsp chip.when i give a power supply 12V, the current increase to 1A and the dsp chip become hot. can anybody tell me why it is become hot? and how to solve it?
thanks

Offline benji

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Re: dsp chip hot
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:23:18 AM »
where are you measuring such a current? at the vcc ? can you provide a schematic?
good ol' BeNNy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
i measuring the current at the power supply. before this, when i supply 12V, the current is 0.6A. but when i try to supply it yesterday, the current increase up to 1A and the dsp chip become hot. i am using mck2812. i just connect the +12V and -12V from the supply to the pin +ve and -ve on the board.i have no idea why it become like that. can it affected to the board?i have disconnected all the connection to the board, and the current still become high.

Offline benji

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:59:51 AM »
ive never heard of a processor that drags up to 1 AMP., or even 0.6 amp,,
good ol' BeNNy

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
really?
so what should i do now?normally, how much the current will drags up?
can anyone have any idea?

Offline paulstreats

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »
Is it just the processor or are you tlking about an evluation type board?

An evaluation board may require 12 volts.

(ps im pretty sure that pentium 4's must consume a couple of amps at least just to generte the heat that they do)

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »
i bought motion control kit mck2812. i use 12V to power up the board. but the dsp chip on the board become hot when i try to power up it yesterday. before this, it not happened. 

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 09:37:30 PM »
Are you using it to drive a motor?  If so, what you're seeing isn't nessecarily unusual.  If not, what you're seeing is probably a sign that you've destroyed your board by incorrectly connecting power or shorting something.  Without any schematic or specs I can't really do much to help you figure out specifically what's wrong, though.  Are you sure you're supposed to be connecting +12V to +ve and -12V to -ve?  Did the board ever work as expected (and by work I don't just mean draw less than 1 A)?

- Ben

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:25:19 PM »
yes. i am using it to drive a motor.i have bought two brushless dc motor.i power up the motor with another power supply.

what do you mean by

" If so, what you're seeing isn't nessecarily unusual." 

i did not get it. it is usually will become hot? but when i disconnected the wire on the board, the dsp chip still become hot.

Do you mean  it caused by the shorting something means the connector to the dsp board? it is possible to be the cause of the dsp chip hot?

i don't know what schematic that should i attach.  before this, the board is work as expected until it happen.

Offline bens

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:47:10 PM »
but when i disconnected the wire on the board, the dsp chip still become hot.
Disconnected what wire?  You need to understand that I am not familiar with the your particular board, so saying something about disconnecting "the wire" doesn't mean anything to me.

If you are using your board to drive a motor that's pulling 1 A, I wouldn't be shocked if the motor driver IC on your board gets warm.  Are you sure it's the DSP that's getting warm and not the motor driver?  Do things get warm when your motor is disconnected?

The schematic I would want to see is the one for the board you are using.  If you don't have a schematic, do you have any documentation at all that would tell me more about the expected connections and specs?

- Ben

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:50:14 AM »
sorry, i forgot to clear a thing. actually, i just connect all the connector to the board, i mean, the wire from the sensor and the motor. i do not soldering the connection yet. it is possible the caused of the dsp hot is the shorting  of some of the wire connected to the board?

i am very sure it's dsp gets warm not the motor driver. the dsp also get warms when the motor was disconnected

you can go to the http://www.technosoftmotion.com/products/TOOLS_MCK.htm#MCK2812_MCK for the documentation.

thank you for your attention

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
Does it work even though it gets warm? If you don't tell it to do anything, but its all wired up, does it still get warm?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »
before i realize that dsp gets warm, it work as usual. then, when i realize it, I disconnect the power supply. yes, it still get warm even i did not tell it to do anything. also, when it unwired, it still becomes warm.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
Well if it overheats but it isn't processing anything, that means you have a short somewhere . . .

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »
So, what should I do now?Is it means that i cannot use the board anymore? Do I have to replace the board with a new one?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 06:55:54 PM »
It means you have a short probably ;D

Check your wiring, something is wrong. Use a multimeter and report your findings.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »
Now I have disconnected all the wire on board. I just supply the voltage to the board only and the result still same.  Is it means the board is broken?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 08:29:08 PM »
Yeap, its probably broken . . . something inside of it is now shorting . . . unless you are also powering it wrong =P

Get Your Ad Here

data_list