Author Topic: Infrared Googles / glasses  (Read 12694 times)

Offline Private ReidTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I love apples ... Yum !!!
Infrared Googles / glasses
« on: July 15, 2008, 04:57:15 AM »

anyway this question has been driving me MAD

CAN YOU SEE INFRARED without using a camera?

what about this?

I don't think thats possable...but is it true.... I thought you couldn't see Infrared !

But wait there's more!

http://www.videojug.com/film/do-it-yourself-night-vision-sunglasses

what about that!

i need help to find whether either of them would work

Thanks
This Post was proudly donated by Sam.

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • 1.6L Peugeot 307 tuner
Re: Infrared Googles / glasses
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
I don't know what these guys say but for true night vision you gotta generate about 10kV and do many more things.... :P
For whom the interrupts toll...

P.S. I've been inactive for almost a year... Don't give promises but I'll try to complete my tutorials. I'll let you know when..

Cheers!

Offline Cotowar

• Helpful? 0
  • Ubuntu for Humans
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:47:21 PM »
night vision is green, so the second vid is bullshit. also, you cannot see in infrared, thats why its called INFRA red!!

All these devices do is filter certain colors, making visible light look different.

The second video is exactly the same as the first, aside from the LEDs on the sides. Those are basically useless however seeing as you CANNOT SEE INFRARED!!!

Now, if you take the infrared LED's and attach them to a camera lens, you can see in the dark without others knowing, but as for seeing in the dark, you cannot.

Oh, and just a tip, DO NOT FOLLOW the guys advice in the first video! He has many videos on the internet, and they are not true. He said you could break apart a 9V battery and use the cells as AAA batteries. This made sense to me seeing as AAA cell batteries are 1.5V each, and a 9V battery has 6 cells in it. I tried this idea, and now my TI 84 silver calculator no longer works. DO NOT LISTEN to this man, he will break your things!!!
--Cotowar--

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
The AAA batteries thing is true cotowar , thats what a 9V battery is .    1.5V x 6 = 9V
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline paulstreats

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
The battery thing is indeed correct apart from the being 1.5v AAAA and not AAA

Also the note about the first video not being night vision is completely true. But then again it doesnt claim to offer night vision it just claims to alter or filter the colours that you normally see by blocking either blue or red light. In fact there is even a warning saying do not look into the sun.

The types of color filters used may let you see some ir though.

Reason:

Some infrared is visible, some slightly visible and some not visible The visible infra red is usually drowned by the other colors you can see So its like lighting a candle in a fire, the candle light is there you just cant make it out because of all of the other light. So by using filters to remove visible red, green and blue light you are removing the light that would normally drown out the visible infra red maining that what visible infrared there is it is easier to see. Its likely to be faint but by blocking the other light out you are giving yourself a chance of seeing it.

Real infrared goggles use a slide which when infrared light hits them, they release an electron which then travels through a short vaccuum and hits phosphourus coating on glass which then lights up(similar to the electron gun in a CRT monitor).

There is currently a few research projects going on into making infrared invisible materials (presumably as a way of camouflaging heat signals)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:26:03 PM »
Oh thank you guys!

Love ya all

Oh, and just a tip, DO NOT FOLLOW the guys advice in the first video! He has many videos on the internet, and they are not true. He said you could break apart a 9V battery and use the cells as AAA batteries. This made sense to me seeing as AAA cell batteries are 1.5V each, and a 9V battery has 6 cells in it. I tried this idea, and now my TI 84 silver calculator no longer works. DO NOT LISTEN to this man, he will break your things!!!

i have read a few of KipKay's (The guy in the first video) video's and some of them are correct and i have tried the 9V battery and that worked ok for me...I think you had  bad experience...(maybe)

But you are right some of his Hacks? are stupid, dangerous or have a very low chance of success.

But thanks allot guys! saved the day once again!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:15:07 PM »
You can 'see' IR light by buying a cheap camera (that doesn't have an IR filter) and putting a visible light filter on it.

It'll work on most webcams.

The really expensive IR cams on the market then take those images and simply modify the colors using software.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 02:12:10 AM »
what do you mean by
and putting a visible light filter on it.
?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »
Digital cameras can see both visible and infrared.

Meaning, if you block out visible light, the camera only sees infrared. You can do that with add-on filters (like those gels in the video), or special lenses.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
Uh, Ha :)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list