Author Topic: Servo sizes - standard?  (Read 8596 times)

Offline izuaTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
Servo sizes - standard?
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »
Do servos come in standardised sizes?
I want to use MG 995 in a design, however, I don't have one available. It's sizes however (Dimensiuni: 40 x 19.8 x 37.8 mm) seems to match the sizes of other such as a HS325 or HS311 (for which a sketchup model is readily available).

So - do servos come in fixed sizes? If a design for a "standard" or "micro" size, can I easily interchange servos in the same range?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:16:29 AM by izua »
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 23
  • Nuclear Engineer Roboticist
Re: Servo sizes - standard?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
They seem to come in sets of very similarly sized servos.  Beyond that, I don't know for sure.  I'd check out the holes in particular, to see if they line up between sizes.  I'm pretty sure the output shafts and attachments are standardized sizes (at least among a given manufacturer).
I

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
Well, I'm talking about different servos, from different manufacturers, in the same range (micro, mini, standard, etc).
What about distance between mounting holes? I have 48 mm on mine (hitec standard clones). Does that value rings a bell? :P
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:40:12 PM »
They seem to come in sets of very similarly sized servos.  Beyond that, I don't know for sure.  I'd check out the holes in particular, to see if they line up between sizes.  I'm pretty sure the output shafts and attachments are standardized sizes (at least among a given manufacturer).

That's true for a given servo size for a particular manufacturer, but output shafts are not necessarily the same between manufacturers.  For example, Futaba and HiTec have different output shafts.

Offline Ai-bot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:54:58 PM »
HI

The MG 995 screw hole is not the same placement as the Hitec standard size.
I have the MG995, I bought 6 to try out, they are not that good.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:56:45 PM by Ai-bot »

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
Crap, I just ordered one MG995 to try it out too. It looked really cool with the metal gears.

Offline MarkBrown

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
Yes, there are standard sizes to servos.  An example of a micro servo is the Hitech HS55, and the standard size is something like the Futaba S3004.  Keep in mind that these sizes are standard for using them in RC vehicles, like planes and helicopters.
It is human nature to confuse genious with insanity

http://marksproject.blogspot.com/

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »
Oh, yeah, I know MG995 is standard.
My question was how the fixing holes, overall dimensions, shaft position etc, are realted (ie: widely varying or strictly similar) between different brands and models of servo sizes. It should allow me to force a screw in if it's a little off between different brands, or add some paper to compensate for a lower length.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 05:16:35 PM by izua »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
There really is no standard size.

Basically look at the servo datasheet for dimensions. But both Hitec and Futaba datasheets tend to not show some of the important dimensions, like screw hole locations . . .

Get Your Ad Here