Well I came back from a trip and tried to test my circuit and servos again to see if it was something simple as a low voltage. I plugged my modified servo in (the one I thought I fried) and plugged in my programmer. Checked the device signature and that came back fine, but this chip had been giving me signature errors the last time I tried it. So I reprogrammed the chip with the modified code again and it worked. Nothing had changed, everything was how I left it a couple of weeks ago. So I tried the servo that seemed to be broken when I used the hold_servo program and magically it worked this time. No idea what went wrong before but everything is working fine. Been over the entire thing to check for loose connections or shorts anywhere.