Author Topic: Battery Power  (Read 1330 times)

Offline kevinisnekkidTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Battery Power
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:35:15 PM »
I know the common recommendations about batteries. "Keep motors & chips seperate"... The project I'm working on needs reliable power on both, and I would prefer if I can use a single battery (bank possibly). I'm looking into giving microcontroller brains to my full sized boat. The engine has a battery charging circuit for a 12v battery. Since I have a nice source of charging power, I would like to use that for the microcontroller circuits.

I will be using a SLA battery for main power to start the engine, and steer the boat. Should I use a seperate small battery for the microcontroller, and have the main battery keep it charged? Or can I just use a voltage regulator for the small electronics?

-Kevin
Robots don't hide what they are.

Offline Rebelgium

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • It's called the future ... We like it here
Re: Battery Power
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:13:41 AM »
Do you know how a car shuts off a your radio and other electric appliances when you start the car? That's because the startermotor draws so much current that the voltage of the SLA battery drops...
So I recommend a separate little battery for you MCU and other electronics.
To relax after some hard work on robotics: A very fun free online text based MMORPG
orgcrime.net

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »
I also prefer a single power source for my bots.  The key is to elimate as much noise as possible to the electronics.  I do that by passing through a diode, adding 1000 uF per amp of caps, and using the VR's recommended caps on the input and output.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 169
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
How about this:
Connect your 12V battery to a separate smaller battery with a diode (forcing current only one way, and dropping the voltage a few volts). That way the smaller battery always gets charged, but doesn't drain when you use your boat.

Offline kevinisnekkidTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:22:32 AM »
Admin,
  That's perfect! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

-Kevin
Robots don't hide what they are.

Get Your Ad Here