Author Topic: Christmas in Geekland  (Read 1622 times)

Offline ArcManTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
Christmas in Geekland
« on: December 26, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
Every year I take great enjoyment from seeing how many members of my family I can coerce into giving me a truly geek gift.  I'm not talking ipods here.  I'm talking about gifts that nobody else in the room has any idea what the heck it is.  Half the time the giver doesn't know either - it was just on my wish list.

Anybody got any good ones to share?

I got my dad to give me a set of carbide-tipped lathe turning bits and a set of parallel bars for milling.  He knew what they were, because he used to be a machinist, but everyone else in the room was puzzled (and very happy that they didn't receive such a gift).

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: Christmas in Geekland
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
yeah i got my brother to get me a couple of atmega16... nobody knew what hey were and my mom got me a soldering iron
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline fuzzyt

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:59:30 AM »
An o-scope from the wife!  ;D Said she felt stupid cause she didn't have a clue as to what it was...

Offline RoBoTicS

• Helpful? 0
  • Man is a robot with defects
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:25:12 AM »
My mom had ordered the Roboduino microcontroller and some things for servo city about a week ago and they still haven't came in I was hoping it would be around Christmas but as of right now nothing!

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 12:30:34 PM »
I had my mom get me some breadboards and some circuit components and stuff last year
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

Offline want2learn

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »
I'm always asking for resistors, transistors, chips, hell any component i can use.
Problem is no-one in mine or my wife's family's consider a bag o bits as a proper present :'(
The question that drives me hazy:

Am I, or the others crazy?

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »
my brother gave me a keychain rubix cube. even that's over my head.
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline Thomas Countz

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »
My mom had ordered the Roboduino microcontroller and some things for servo city about a week ago and they still haven't came in I was hoping it would be around Christmas but as of right now nothing!

Yeah, my mother ordered me some things from ServoCity as well, and likewise, they haven't arrived yet...... :-\

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
My family is hopeless when it comes to geeky things. I usually buy them geek slanted items like I got my dad an audible subscription because he likes to listen to audiobooks. He is a truck driver so I had to sneak down to the truck and find a way to send the laptop audio into his truck speakers. then all I gave him was the 1/8" stereo jack extension cable that I needed for it. :) Course I had to show him how to run everything and how to order books after we opened presents but the moment of confusion was worth it all.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Get Your Ad Here

data_list